VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I acquired a PC Chips M918i yesterday, it works fine with an ISA Cirus Logic card, but when testing my ATI Mach64VT it won't post with it, I'm guessing the PCI slots do work because i had to troubleshoot the board and it was sending post codes to my PCI post card just fine, anyone got any idea's on this? Is the card to new, its from 96.

System specs

Intel 486 DX4 100
PC Chips M918i
32mb FPM 2x16mb
480mb Maxtor

Reply 1 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Again, I talked about some PCI video cards cannot be initialized on early boards like 486 PCI and some dumb boards like HX for pentium which I have and tried a TX board and got all of the cards going.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mach64VT should work on everything. Probably PCI contacts are too loose or card itself is just too dirty. That said, Mach64 series had very mediocre VGA performance, so typical S3 option would be much better.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 8, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote on 2020-09-21, 17:35:

what do yall recomend i look for then

The "best" graphics card I could get working in my Socket 3 machine was an SIS 305 16MB card, I also used an 8MB ATI 3d Rage Pro Turbo in there.

I posted about some of my experiences a while back here - SIS 305 16MB PCI

I preferred both to the S3 Virge I had, there was always a lot of "noise" on my LCD screen with the Virge.

Reply 7 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Early ATI cards - limited VGA performance, which is major drawback for 486 system.
SIS 305 - also limited VGA performance, but probably decent VESA performance.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cirrus Logic, Matrox , S3, Trident, Tseng are the common options for a 486.
You can get a list of chips and their compatibility here.
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Obviously you don't need anything "modern" on a 486, Even the early poor performing 3D cards like the S3 Virge will be fine for a 486.