VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

considering I'm using a PCI modern Geforce 210 card on a mini-itx board having a single PCI old type bus that use an Intel PCI bridge on the chipset to connect it to the native PCI-EX1 (no reason why they did that when a better faster native PCI-EX1 bus would have been possible) and the vga itself has a PLX 8112 PCI to PCI-EX bridge so the system is working on who knows which bus speed through two bridges, I found in the bios only two things that can say something, one the 133MB/s value reading I can't modify and the PCI Latency Timer value I can modify. Increasing the last from 32 to 264 (the maximun) it seems the system's running faster and I increased most 3dmark scores, but I don't know exactly if it's right, which is the best value and if I can get someway to know or test the exact bus speed (ICH7/NM10 chipset) that has to work with these bridges. Also there're no drivers for them and GPU-Z application seems not to understand the bus part not even the load bench/readings.
Thanks for any help.
Bye

Reply 1 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It means how long can a PCI device hog the bus before another thing gets its turn. If some other device begins to suffer (such as getting stuttering in sound) you want to reduce the value. Otherwise keep it high as it allows more data to be passed in single bus transaction.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 2, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately I don't know how to monitor or check the real speed of the chipset > gpu connection considering there're two bridges in the middle. This is an industrial mainboard and the only way I had to push the system speed was to install a modern low end video card. At the end is definetely more supported than the SGX545 on board but not much faster. Increasing that value seems to have improved a bit the speed. The card is probably even running @ lower speed that's intended with this bus config.