VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey all,

If building a 1996-97 Windows 95 build, are there games for late DOS and WIn95 that require 3D Accelerator other than a Voodoo1? I ask as I am trying to decide which PCI card to put with my Voodoo1, a normal 2D S3 type card or another 3D accelerated PCI Card, like an ATI Rage or something like that.....I could even go a little ahead in time for the non Voodoo PCI card if 3D acceleration for non-Voodoo use games is worth setting up for.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You mean games that use something other than 3DFX or DirectX? There's a big thread about those over here:
Proprietary 3D API's

A much better question is, would you ever have enough interest in those games to go out of your way to be able to run them?

Reply 2 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty much only PowerVR PCX is worth a look, but it's another pure accelerator card and hard to get. Maybe also Rendition cards, but that's a stretch.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No harm in picking a 2D card from that proprietary 3D list to give you the option to mess around with on of the other API's
But that's all it is, something to mess around with. If this is your one and only Win9x PC D3D performance is much more important.

Reply 5 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-20, 00:24:

You mean games that use something other than 3DFX or DirectX? There's a big thread about those over here:
Proprietary 3D API's

A much better question is, would you ever have enough interest in those games to go out of your way to be able to run them?

Not to selfpromote or anything, but that thread is very incomplete, more complete and up to date here 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes