VOGONS

First post, by Kewun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I want to know what could be the fastest and best gpu for windows xp which is supported and has 32 bit drivers?

I heard about 750 Ti being good, but is there any better?

Reply 1 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maxwell GPUs are the fastest generation of graphics supported in windows XP. The GTX 950 can sometimes be found without external power, but almost all of them have a 6 pin power connector so finding one would be difficult.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-gtx-950/

You can find cheap 6pin to molex adapters, and while that solution is questionable for higher end cards, I think you will be fine on a lower end card like the 950.

If you need your graphics to be single slot or low profile than the GTX 750 can be reliably found without external power and in both form factors.

Reply 2 of 8, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have EVGA GTX 750 Ti. No extra power needed. I have it in a system running XP x64 (last Nvidia generation that supports it, insofar as I'm aware), but there are also XP x86 drivers for it.

It's a very nice little card and has DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort. It used to be in my main workstation (Q9550, 8GB RAM and SSD). It replaced a massive power hog GTX 260 Core 216. Ran like champ powering a 2650 x 1600 display. Sometimes I would add a second monitor (1920 x 1080) for Supreme Commander 2.

The most "modern" games I threw at it would probably be Assassin's Creed Unity and Dragon Age Inquisition.

Briefly also used it to power my newer 4k monitor; but since switched in a 1050 card. I imagine for most XP era games it would be more then sufficient.

Reply 3 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see any reasonable point for limiting yourself to such uncommon cards. If power draw is a concern, just tweak it via MSI Afterburner or something.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty much each generation of cards will have some tier that's marketed to push the upper limit of allowed power draw through the slot without requiring an auxiliary connector. It's a popular cutoff point for people upgrading brand name prebuilts like Dells, HPs, etc.

It might not always be a good idea to use those cards though. I used a card like that (GT240 GDDR5) in an Asus A8N-SLI and ended up having problems where the system would suddenly turn itself off, probably because the motherboard couldn't handle the power draw. I don't know if the video card was exceeding spec or if the motherboard was falling short of spec, but creating that edge case didn't work out well.
I suspect (haven't tried) that if I were to put a GTX260 (which has dual 6-pin connectors) on the same motherboard it would actually be more stable.

To answer your question though, the 750Ti is popular (never used one myself). Do you have any compatibility concerns with older games? What range of games are you trying to optimize the system for?

Reply 5 of 8, by Kewun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to optimize the system to atleast run GTA IV at middle settings, can fluctate between 50-40 fps at 720p as long as it works.
recently I got a gtx 1050 2gb in my hands but it doesnt have drivers for 32 bit xp 😒 thats why im asking if theres any best gpu that could work on xp
(unless there is a way to make gtx 1050 work on xp via third party drivers that im not aware of?)

Sorry for the late answer.

Reply 6 of 8, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kewun wrote on 2020-12-20, 08:53:

I want to optimize the system to atleast run GTA IV at middle settings, can fluctate between 50-40 fps at 720p as long as it works.
recently I got a gtx 1050 2gb in my hands but it doesnt have drivers for 32 bit xp 😒 thats why im asking if theres any best gpu that could work on xp
(unless there is a way to make gtx 1050 work on xp via third party drivers that im not aware of?)

GTX 900 series. The 980 Ti for example is the fastest GPU you can get for Windows XP. It's much, much faster than a 1050, btw. It has pretty much the same performance as a GTX 1070.

Read this on how to install XP drivers for it:

https://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidi … 980-ti-titan-x/

Reply 8 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
realnc wrote on 2020-12-20, 12:14:
GTX 900 series. The 980 Ti for example is the fastest GPU you can get for Windows XP. It's much, much faster than a 1050, btw. I […]
Show full quote
Kewun wrote on 2020-12-20, 08:53:

GTX 900 series. The 980 Ti for example is the fastest GPU you can get for Windows XP. It's much, much faster than a 1050, btw. It has pretty much the same performance as a GTX 1070.

Read this on how to install XP drivers for it:

https://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidi … 980-ti-titan-x/

I kept going back and forth about going 780Ti cd 980Ti or an equivalent Quadro card.

Ended up deciding to go multiple 780Ti for some crazy SLI funsies. 780Ti seemed like a better choice given the reading I have been doing about the newer cards not playing as nice with some games.

Plus anything newer I'll just run on my main rig.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK