VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

testing a gf4 ti4200 agp8x on a 440bx setup under 98se, i selected 56.64 as driver because it has some features i consider useful over the commonly mentioned 45.23, such as doublescan toggle and refresh rate forcing, but the latter one turned out to be completely broken; every time toggle it on and try to select a refresh rate for a given resolution, it just says 0 hz and upon switching to another tab, it's turned off again. also to make matters worse none of the settings such as vsync, AA etc affect direct3d at all, only opengl.

i should mention that i applied the coolbits tweak, specifically the "CoolBits"=dword:00000003 one, and extra options like overclocking and d3d prerendered frames do appear, so i assume that's the correct one for this driver. am i missing something or were they barely testing this stuff under 98 by that point?

Reply 1 of 2, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wait until you try some of their later Windows 98 drivers, and find out that it breaks Windows shutdown, and the driver uninstaller is also broken.

With Nvidia drivers on Windows 98 I often find them breaking game compatibility to completely ludicrous levels. Unfortunately there's no universally good driver version that I know of, I just try different drivers for different cards, and pick the one that causes least problems. Generally older drivers are less buggy, but have less features.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 2 of 2, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well that's the part where i don't understand the apparently common wish to run gf6 or even 7 on 98se, where you'd indeed be stuck with even newer drivers than this. but i can't speak from experience there.

it's already bizarre to see such a basic aspect like refresh rates so broken that some games are stuck at 60hz while others randomly start at 144hz.