VOGONS

First post, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I've encountered a problem on my K6/233 machine. I have Windows 95c with a PCI Voodoo3 2000. The driver is version 1.07 WHQL downloaded from falconfly. Everything has been running fine for a while playing some non-3D Windows games, and some DOS games in DOS mode. I finally tried to add some 3D games: Heretic2, Turok, Turok2 and Half-Life.

Both Heretic2 and Turok installed and work using their 3Dfx drivers. With Turok2, after selecting installation options it crashes before copying files. It pops an error message "Your program is making an invalid dynamic link call to a .DLL file." Half-Life installed and after entering the CD key it pops the same error. I went back to Heretic2 and tried its OpenGL32 driver and got the same error.

DirectX 8.0 is installed and in DXDIAG both the ddraw and d3d tests run well, so I guess Direct3D is working. The 3Dfx Tools utility was installed with the driver 1.07 and all of the settings are still default. I checked the 3D screensavers (maze, pipes, etc) and none of them play. In the Display Properties the miniature preview stays blank and their settings boxes do not open. Oddly, also the screensaver wait time keeps resetting to 1 minute.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Reply 1 of 1, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I solved the OpenGL problem. After finding the following thread here
half life 1 and voodoo2
I checked my System32 folder and found 3dfxogl.dll as well as an opengl32.dll left behind from another video card. I removed the opengl32.dll, then made a copy of 3dfxogl.dll renamed to opengl32.dll and now everything works.

I still haven't solved the screensaver wait time. It resets to 1 minute each time Windows boots.