VOGONS

First post, by Phreakme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Scored these on Mercari. Impulse buy, can’t really find much info or drivers on them.

Figured they’d be pretty cool for my dual Pentium Pro server.....

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Reply 2 of 10, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks interesting, but could you post pictures of the pcb's from straight above, closeups of the large chips, markings, stickers, etc. Unless someone's seen these cards before and knows exactly what they are, those pictures won't do much good.
Do the card(s) get detected if you plug them in?

Reply 3 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Video cards for high resolution mutil-panel setup with a cable for synchronization.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 10, by Phreakme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-02-15, 16:40:

Looks interesting, but could you post pictures of the pcb's from straight above, closeups of the large chips, markings, stickers, etc. Unless someone's seen these cards before and knows exactly what they are, those pictures won't do much good.
Do the card(s) get detected if you plug them in?

I don’t have the cards on hand yet. Here’s the only markings that were in the listing images.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 10, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-02-15, 16:42:

Video cards for high resolution mutil-panel setup with a cable for synchronization.

I've worked with Barco equipment before for event-related multi-display and projection stuff, so I'd bet you're right on the money.

Reply 6 of 10, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the big intel chips are probably just PCI-PCI bridges, why they're using external ramdacs might have to do with syncing I guess (hence why both cards are connected)

idk if that simply wouldn't work with the internal ramdacs or why exactly they do it that way, maybe it also has something to do with signal integrity ^^

Reply 7 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the big intel chips are probably just PCI-PCI bridges

Not just probably, they are in fact PCI-PCI bridges.

dk if that simply wouldn't work with the internal ramdacs or why exactly they do it that way

Most likely it was better/easier to synchronize signals with external DACs at that time.

Reply 9 of 10, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

External DACs could support higher resolutions/refresh rates than internal....that might be reason too...

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 10 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

External DACs could support higher resolutions/refresh rates than internal....that might be reason too...

They use IBM 220 Mhz Palette DAC , which was used on some S3 Vision 968 cards, so no.