VOGONS

First post, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Came across this and thought some of you would be interested to see this: https://www.modlabs.net/forum/topic/60674/
Translated from Russian to English: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru& … um/topic/60674/

This guy managed to reverse engineer a 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 (without destroying the original) and included a molex connector on the new build so it doesn't need an extern PSU anymore. It works exactly the same as the original, even has the same bugs. Don't know whether he'll be selling them, but it's cool anyway. 😀

1_11.jpg
1_2.jpg
1_3.jpg
1_4.jpg
1_5.jpg

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 1 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't know whether he'll be selling them, but it's cool anyway.

Yep. Price will be ~1500$

Re: Voodoo 5 6000 Clone PCB

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 15, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well he has also official facebook page, with photos of his previous famous projects and sometimes also prices....also some good answers for questions about prices etc....
https://www.facebook.com/zxc64.hw

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 3 of 15, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What a juicy slice of technology

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 5 of 15, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

has been tested 14 years ago.

in summary - even the PCI v5 5500 will be comparably quite constrained in newer titles, so expect even worse scaling from a PCI 6000. older titles vary quite a bit with UT running in glide showcasing great efficiency on the PCI bus. going 32bpp and/or FSAA really shifts the bottleneck away from the bus.

Reply 7 of 15, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vlask wrote on 2021-02-20, 08:52:

Well he has also official facebook page, with photos of his previous famous projects and sometimes also prices....also some good answers for questions about prices etc....
https://www.facebook.com/zxc64.hw

thank you

Reply 11 of 15, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thrackerzod wrote on 2021-02-23, 08:29:

Doesn't Nvidia still own the 3dfx brand name and logos? I wonder if they might object to them being used.

Nvidia has bought all 3dfx assets, ips, properties, name and all things. Nvidia could but nvidia don't care about 3dfx fan project.

Reply 12 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote on 2021-02-23, 21:45:

Doesn't Nvidia still own the 3dfx brand name and logos? I wonder if they might object to them being used.

Nvidia has bought all 3dfx assets, ips, properties, name and all things. Nvidia could but nvidia don't care about 3dfx fan project.

I don't think nVidia still holds any rights to the 3dfx brand name and logo. If anybody has some insight I don't have please correct me but I have scrolled through various brand name registers and the brand appears to be universally deleted/abandoned/expired/cancelled.

Reply 13 of 15, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-02-24, 02:34:

I don't think nVidia still holds any rights to the 3dfx brand name and logo. If anybody has some insight I don't have please correct me but I have scrolled through various brand name registers and the brand appears to be universally deleted/abandoned/expired/cancelled.

The own the IP for sure. Copyright lasts for 75-100 years...whether the brand is registered or not is irrelevant.

Reply 15 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2021-02-24, 04:05:
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-02-24, 02:34:

The own the IP for sure. Copyright lasts for 75-100 years...whether the brand is registered or not is irrelevant.

Again this is a German legal perspective (and should therefore also be valid for the rest of the EU) but I would be surprised if US law would have a much different legal situation seeing as the US has joined the Berne convention:
The old 3Dfx logo as well as the new 3dfx logo are comprised of simple short text (as well as a minimal geometric form in the new logo). This usually does not meet the requirements of "Gestaltungshöhe"/"Werkhöhe"/"Schöpfungshöhe" (basically a threshold of originality) to qualify for "Urheberrecht" (~copyright). Therefore they're both to be considered "gemeinfrei" (~public domain). To obtain exclusive right of use one would have to register the design as a "Wortmarke"/trademark or register as a "Design"/"Geschmacksmuster". Currently both logos aren't registered.
I would be very surprised if both two logos weren't considered public domain by US law.