VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2021-02-26, 21:40:

one difference between 95 and 98 is how the swap file and vcache are managed; if you have a lot of RAM installed (even just >32mb, according to some), it's usually said to set 95 to manually limit the vcache size because it can grow quite large and take a lot of memory away from programs to use. you can install system monitor from the windows install cd (add programs -> components -> accessories, i think) to check what your "faulty" win95 installation is doing in terms of things like this, and also cpu load; just note that the cpu load measurements are broken under win98 ACPI installs.

Finally feel like tackling this issue again. I'll check the vcache in system.ini in a bit.

Reply 22 of 23, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just finished reinstalling Win95 and testing some games. The issue seems to have gone away! I played through the entirety of Virtua Cop (my first time ever beating it, actually) and a fair bit of Croc and Atlantis and never noticed any of that annoying jittering whatsoever. Guess I should make an image of the drive soon. I do wonder what caused that issue in the first place.