VOGONS

ASTVision 5L

Topic actions

First post, by resdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I just picked up an ASTVision 5L 15 inch color monitor for $4 at a local thrift store. It's in pretty good condition.

Does anyone know of a good site or link where I may find the user manual for this monitor?

Thanks

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    Filename
    unnamed (1).jpg
    File size
    661.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • unnamed.jpg
    Filename
    unnamed.jpg
    File size
    909.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
resdog wrote on 2021-02-28, 04:06:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I just picked up an ASTVision 5L 15 inch color monitor for $4 at a local thrift store. It's in pretty good condition.

Does anyone know of a good site or link where I may find the user manual for this monitor?

Thanks

That is an OEMed Daewoo CMC-1502B .

I had two issues when I go mine for 500 CAN$ in 1995 or 1996 .
a) It died within a week (would not power on), but was quickly repaired within warranty .
b) It had terrible brightness even when brand new. That is to say it was the dimmest monitor I have ever had . It was usable, but only in a reasonably low-light environment .

Otherwise, it was a fine monitor until I gave it away when I upgraded to a Viewsonic PT771 .

EDIT : AFAICR, it tops off at 1024x768@60Hz . It might do 70Hz at that resolution, but I doubt it . Sorry, I no longer have the manual .

Reply 2 of 3, by resdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-02-28, 05:14:
That is an OEMed Daewoo CMC-1502B . […]
Show full quote
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

Thanks

a) It died within a week (would not power on), but was quickly repaired within warranty .
b) It had terrible brightness even when brand new. That is to say it was the dimmest monitor I have ever had . It was usable, but only in a reasonably low-light environment .

Otherwise, it was a fine monitor until I gave it away when I upgraded to a Viewsonic PT771 .

EDIT : AFAICR, it tops off at 1024x768@60Hz . It might do 70Hz at that resolution, but I doubt it . Sorry, I no longer have the manual .

I figure since this thing has made the rounds and has probably been in use since the manufacture date 1996, it's unlikely it will die now. And you're right about the brightness. I managed to find some information on it and it actually goes up to 1280 x 1024 @ 60hz, at least with my geforce mx 440.

The only other monitor I have is an IBM MM75, which I prefer, but it has issues too. It's a bit too heavy for my liking and since I don't have an IBM Aptiva 2140 or 2142 to connect it to, the speakers are literally worthless. Unless there's some kind of adapter for it's proprietary nonsense. But that's doubtful.

Reply 3 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
resdog wrote on 2021-02-28, 07:22:
darry wrote on 2021-02-28, 05:14:
That is an OEMed Daewoo CMC-1502B . […]
Show full quote
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

Thanks

I figure since this thing has made the rounds and has probably been in use since the manufacture date 1996, it's unlikely it will die now. And you're right about the brightness. I managed to find some information on it and it actually goes up to 1280 x 1024 @ 60hz, at least with my geforce mx 440.

The only other monitor I have is an IBM MM75, which I prefer, but it has issues too. It's a bit too heavy for my liking and since I don't have an IBM Aptiva 2140 or 2142 to connect it to, the speakers are literally worthless. Unless there's some kind of adapter for it's proprietary nonsense. But that's doubtful.

Sorry, no manual, but a spec table from their archived website

ASTVision 5L.jpg
Filename
ASTVision 5L.jpg
File size
89.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://web.archive.org/web/19961029104156/ht … as/monchart.htm