VOGONS

First post, by aarondavid47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys
Just a follow up to my previous post on the Ati Rage XL on 430TX. Since there's no way now for the Rage XL to work on my motherboard, i have decided to scour ebay for some old vintage 3D graphics cards. I have found a 82088PCI Nvidia Riva Tnt-2 64 16MB PCI Video Graphics Card. From my research it seems the TNT-2 M64 was quite a good card back in the day sometimes bettering the Voodoo 3 2000.
Could someone plz tell me if they had any issues getting the Nvidia Riva TNT-2 64 or any TNT 2 variant to work on a 430TX motherboard?
Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TNT should work fine

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 7, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aarondavid47 wrote on 2021-02-28, 07:51:

From my research it seems the TNT-2 M64 was quite a good card back in the day sometimes bettering the Voodoo 3 2000.
Thanks

There might be very specific instances where the TNT2 M64, when used on a fast CPU, can be a bit faster than a Voodoo 3 2000, but generally speaking the Voodoo 3 is definitely the faster card - especially at higher resolutions, since the M64 has a 64 bit bus which translates to 1.1 GB/s memory bandwidth. The Voodoo 3 has a 128 bit memory bus & 2.2 GB/s.

However, in your specific case, on a slow CPU like the Pentium MMX & Co, a Voodoo 3 will be MUCH, MUCH faster at basically any resolution. There's just no contest, particularly in games that support Glide. Unfortunately prices for Voodoo 3 PCI cards are simply insane, so... yeah. 😀 Voodoo Banshee PCI and Voodoo 2 cards are also very good choices for Pentium MMX, although also very expensive as it stands...

Now, to answer your question, yes, the TNT2 M64 PCI does run perfectly fine on a P MMX.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 3 of 7, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agree with the above statement. You are mixing it up with the regular TNT2, the M64 is more akin to the original TNT which trades punches with the Voodoo2. Still, more than enough for your socket 7 system, just remember to use as old a driver as possible.

Reply 4 of 7, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a TNT2 M64 PCI on my Pentium 133 with 430VX motherboard without issues back in the day, it was one of the best upgrades I had ever done. Although I agree a V2/3 should be more efficient on a lower end CPU.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 5 of 7, by aarondavid47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2021-02-28, 08:57:

Agree with the above statement. You are mixing it up with the regular TNT2, the M64 is more akin to the original TNT which trades punches with the Voodoo2. Still, more than enough for your socket 7 system, just remember to use as old a driver as possible.

Thank you so much.

Reply 6 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really a 430TX, but I did use a TNT2 M64 PCI 16MB with my 440LX 400MHz Celeron and on that system it ran Unreal about just as well as my K6-III/400 with Voodoo 2 12MB.
440LX basically succeeded the 430TX as Intel main desktop chipset with 430TX the last Pentium 1 desktop chipset and 440LX the first mainstream Pentium 2 chipset (there is also 440FX but that chipset was never very common).

Personally I think TNT2 M64 is a fine little card, but I think Voodoo 3 is indeed better in most aspects. And Voodoo prices have gone through the roof. It's hard to find a Voodoo 3 PCI for under €100 these days, wtf? 😮
Regarding TNT2 M64 in your system, I'd say go for it =)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

440LX basically succeeded the 430TX

They both use identical south bridge. It doesn't matter though, because problems on AT motherboards are due to shenanigans with 3.3v support or, rarely, some BIOS bug.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.