VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digistorm wrote on 2021-03-13, 08:47:

I noticed with captures of demo scene productions that the motion compensation techniques of my tv are sometimes very capable of hiding / filling in the gaps of the inevitable stutters that most captures of MS-DOS demos have. It depends on the actually achieved frame rates and the kind of movement. Pure 70fps scrolls usually remain ugly. That would also be the ultimate test for any display setup. There are tons of demos and cracktros that use those large scrolling texts that look crap on anything that is not 70 FPS.

These are good points, though I doubt I will ever use that TV for retro use .

For someone who would want to do that, there are TVs which support Freesync . If these TVs accept and properly process (no frameskip) arbitrary variable refresh rates, it would stand to reason that they would accept and properly process a non-variable 70Hz refresh rate, as long as 70Hz falls within the range supported refresh rates for these TVs. My Acer VW257 monitor supports VESA Adaptive-Sync (aka FreeSync) up to 75Hz and handles fixed 70Hz from an Fx 5900 or an OSSC just fine (it does not have a 4:3 mode, but that is another issue) . I have not tested such a TV, but it would make sense that it would work, IMHO .

Here is a partial list of FreeSync capable TVs :
https://premiumbuilds.com/televisions/freesync-tv-list/

Reply 41 of 43, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-03-13, 14:15:
These are good points, though I doubt I will ever use that TV for retro use . […]
Show full quote

I noticed with captures of demo scene productions that the motion compensation techniques of my tv are sometimes very capable of hiding / filling in the gaps of the inevitable stutters that most captures of MS-DOS demos have. It depends on the actually achieved frame rates and the kind of movement. Pure 70fps scrolls usually remain ugly. That would also be the ultimate test for any display setup. There are tons of demos and cracktros that use those large scrolling texts that look crap on anything that is not 70 FPS.

For someone who would want to do that, there are TVs which support Freesync . If these TVs accept and properly process (no frameskip) arbitrary variable refresh rates, it would stand to reason that they would accept and properly process a non-variable 70Hz refresh rate, as long as 70Hz falls within the range supported refresh rates for these TVs. My Acer VW257 monitor supports VESA Adaptive-Sync (aka FreeSync) up to 75Hz and handles fixed 70Hz from an Fx 5900 or an OSSC just fine (it does not have a 4:3 mode, but that is another issue) . I have not tested such a TV, but it would make sense that it would work, IMHO .

There would have to be a circuit in the middle. VRR requires some handshaking over HDMI ( or display port).

Reply 42 of 43, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-13, 17:18:
darry wrote on 2021-03-13, 14:15:
These are good points, though I doubt I will ever use that TV for retro use . […]
Show full quote

There would have to be a circuit in the middle. VRR requires some handshaking over HDMI ( or display port).

I do not I understand why you would necessarily need an additional circuit . The point is not to try to pass off a non VRR capable output device as a "special case" of a VRR capable device that happens to always output the same frequency (70Hz), which would have required additional circuitry to handle/simulate the VRR handshake .

a) These VRR capable TVs and monitors are also capable of accepting at least some fixed refresh rates from non VRR capable output devices (sources). That is a given, otherwise non VRR capable output devices (sources) would not work with the said VRR capable TVs and monitors.
b) If a TV or monitor can handle VRR, it is capable of synching to a range of of refresh rates, at least when using a compatible VRR source . That is also a given .
c) Given "b", I don't see why a VRR capable TV/monitor would not accept a fixed given refresh rate that is within its acceptable input frequency range when operating in VRR mode, but outside of VRR mode, unless the manufacturer has intentionally crippled it to only accept a subset of refresh frequencies when operating outside of VRR mode (IMHO, an unlikely scenario).

In other words:
My point is that, if a monitor supports a given refresh frequency in VRR mode, it means the panel and support electronics can handle that refresh frequency, and the monitor likely has a good chance of also supporting it outside of VRR mode, in traditional "multisync" fashion .

EDIT : I assumed "VRR"="variable refresh rate"
EDIT2 : All of this considering a scenario where the output device (source) either ignores the EDID or a properly programmed EDID emulator is used to force the source to output 70Hz . This because a VRR capable TV or monitor, like any other HDMI display device, will have an EDID that can only contain a finite number of modes . 70Hz modes will likely not be among those present and the native resolution exposed is unlikely to be a 70Hz either.

Reply 43 of 43, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-10, 05:17:

The bad news : there is frameskip at anything above 60Hz .

I've had the same issue with a ASUS 4K monitor. I believe there are 4K monitors that can work above 60 Hz but they are pricey.