Bad Voodoo 5?

Topic actions

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I just received a Voodoo 5 from an ebay purchase. The individual listed it as tested and working. I removed my Voodoo 3, installed the Voodoo5, and connected the molex connector to power the card. When I boot up the PC, the display is glitched. I can make out words and the energy star symbol has the right colors, but there are 6'd and other random characters, all over the screen. I am assuming that the card is bad. The seller listed it as "no returns" but also listed it as "tested and working." Before messaging the guy and dealing with it through ebay, I am digging out my Athlon XP system to test it in (this system is an Asus P2B with a P3,) and see if the same thing occurs. The PC ran just fine with a Voodoo 3, and I even had it booted up prior to testing the V5.

Is there anything else I should try or that I need to know about this? Thanks!

Scythifuge

Reply 3 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-09, 22:11:

"Tested and working" means you can return it if it doesn't work. File a claim with paypal and ebay if he tries to give you the run around.

That is what I am going to do. I have one more mobo I can try, but I am assuming that the card is screwed. I made an offer for $50 off and he accepted it right away. I don't understand people claim things are working and expect to screw people over.

Reply 5 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Scratch testing it on this other P3 board I have, as it is missing things I need unique to this set up. I opened a return request. Luckily, ebay guarantees it, though now I am back on the hunt for a working Voodoo 5.

Reply 6 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wrexroad wrote on 2021-03-09, 22:38:

He probably hit it with a heat gun and got it "working" but it lasted even less time than he expected.

Probably, and if so, what a scumbag. This world is getting worse. This sucks because I am on disability from an accident and will have to wait for the money to come back and then hope to find a working card that won't break the bank. I wish I would have dealt with this years ago when they were cheaper.