VOGONS

First post, by Jager

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I happen to have a Rage 128 PRO (109-63200-01) with a 16mb / 64-bit bus, and 2 memory chips, identical to those that are already on the card. So I tried soldering them on, plus some resistors, capacitors and resistor packs - all the differences I've noted from 128-bit version. Sadly that didn't work, only 16mb recognised by the card. I tried several BIOS versions from the same PCB, but with 32MB / 128bit (113-63211-100, 113-63213-100) - none of them work at all, it boots up only with stock BIOS (113-63209-100). Does anyone have the same board, but with 32MB? Maybe I missed some resistor? I've marked new components so it's easier to spot differences.
IMG-20210320-143219.jpg

Last edited by Jager on 2021-03-20, 16:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are probably bunch of resistors that are effectively jumpers that need to be changed to make the card appear in the new conf. Try to locate photo of the same card with the extra memory and look for differences in component positions.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by Jager

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't spot any other differences. Maybe there is something different under the heatsink?
Rage 128 GL datasheet doesn't mention any straps to define memory config, but at least is says that some of them are rom-based, while other - pull-up/down on the MPP (multimedia peripheral port).

Reply 5 of 5, by ala_borbe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

have you tried measuring important pins on newly soldered ram? VDD, CS... maybe 0ohm resistor is missing somewhere...
you can always compare readings on "old" ram and measure same pin on "new" ram for any differences