VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For example Datapath brand series of capture card on PCIe x4, and I have HP Z420 workstation which would be perfect platform if I acquire the professional grade video capture card.

Some of these can capture as low as 15KHz horizontal from retro computer if any of my LCD monitors cannot lock in classic games resolutions.

But will there be an video lag in that chain of devices?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 8, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested with a VisionRGB-PRO using a PS2 keyboard via a switch box, recording a smartphone 960 FPS video of both the keyboard's caps lock light and an OS indicator displayed on a 60 Hz non-gaming monitor.

Took about 30-40 ms from the caps lock light to a VisionRGB-captured image of Win 98's WordPad on the monitor showing the CAPS indicator. This was with the capture running in a Windows 7 virtual machine's window in Linux and so the capture card running virtualized via PCI passthrough.

Took the same 30-40 ms from caps lock on to native xev in Linux showing the action on the monitor. So not much lag in the capture.

Reply 3 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice to know, Are you able to display the video capture in full screen mode or similar?

Just in case I need to go this route if I cannot get certain monitors to work with specific resolutions or prevent skipping.

To others:
Remind me again what kind of era of games (years in ranges) and certain resolutions that would be a problematic with LCD monitors?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 8, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-03-25, 18:44:

Very nice to know, Are you able to display the video capture in full screen mode or similar?

It's professional hardware with a C programming API, you can process the captured frames any way you want.

Reply 5 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wouldn't it be easier to just split the VGA signal with a cable?

If you are after a way to play games on LCD monitors than a dedicated scaler is going to work a lot better. Capture cards aren't designed for playing games. You can run into lots of different kinds of issues.

Reply 6 of 8, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-26, 00:01:

If you are after a way to play games on LCD monitors than a dedicated scaler is going to work a lot better. Capture cards aren't designed for playing games. You can run into lots of different kinds of issues.

You'll run into issues with scalers surely. The benefit of the VisionRGB-PRO specifically was that they were $25 shipped second hand with free open-source software to make them a professional-quality platform for retro uses, including being a dedicated scaler. These days fewer people can use them due to the PCI interface and Windows 7-level drivers - but the updated E1 model sells second hand for almost nothing as well anyway.

Reply 7 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vvbee wrote on 2021-03-26, 00:37:
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-26, 00:01:

You'll run into issues with scalers surely. The benefit of the VisionRGB-PRO specifically was that they were $25 shipped second hand with free open-source software to make them a professional-quality platform for retro uses, including being a dedicated scaler. These days fewer people can use them due to the PCI interface and Windows 7-level drivers - but the updated E1 model sells second hand for almost nothing as well anyway.

I don't know anything about the visionRGB. Can you link me to something I can read up on?

I haven't tried the OSSC on my DOS computer yet, but it seems like it would work pretty well.

https://videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/ … entium-233-mmx/

Reply 8 of 8, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-26, 03:56:

I don't know anything about the visionRGB. Can you link me to something I can read up on?

It's a range of enterprise capture cards for video walls, medical imaging, whatever that gets cheap ebay dumps from presumably big prior users.