VOGONS

First post, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Trident "TGUI9440-1" PCI adaptor has been bugging me for a while. One time it worked flawlessly, then it refused to output any picture.
Now it seems to have quit working completely.
I replaced the VGA-connector, resoldered all the Video-RAM chips, checked everything carefully under a mgnifying glass - to no avail.

Then I suspected the Video-BIOS to have an issue and thought about reflashing it. But I cannot find the slightest trace of this chip online. Its a "HM53592T".

Video cards are not my strong point at all so I´m stuck here.

trident_pci1.JPG
Filename
trident_pci1.JPG
File size
663.48 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Any hints / help would be welcome!

Reply 1 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a Mask ROM, so you cannot update it or anything.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Though... you probably can replace it with a properly programmed eprom .?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 7, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to know - thanks!
Then the numbers on the circuit are specifically made for the manufacturer, I suppose. When reading "HMxyz..." I thought of some Hitachi chip. But something would to be found on the net in this case.

The card has started working again out of the blue. I will use it as my test-card in the weeks to come and report when it´s failing again.

Reply 4 of 7, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try dumping the video BIOS while the card is in the PC and see if the checksum is correct.

I'm sure you've already tried this, but quite often I can fix intermittent issues like this by thoroughly cleaning the gold fingers using isopropyl alcohol.

Reply 5 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kdr wrote on 2021-04-12, 23:23:

Try dumping the video BIOS while the card is in the PC and see if the checksum is correct.

I'm sure you've already tried this, but quite often I can fix intermittent issues like this by thoroughly cleaning the gold fingers using isopropyl alcohol.

Or a pencil eraser. Fixed dozens of cards this way. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 7, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-04-13, 07:08:

Or a pencil eraser. Fixed dozens of cards this way. 😀

Just don't erase the PCB traces or gold-plated contacts! 😀

I once made the mistake of trying to "fix" some corroded gold card edge contacts using sandpaper. Oops. It did a great job at removing the corrosion... along with all the gold underneath!

Reply 7 of 7, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can get the bios here ... http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cards/ite … dent-tgui9440-1

Then you need an eprom programmer and a 27c256 chip or equivalent.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.