VOGONS

First post, by McLovinGR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

i recently obtain an Elsa Erazor X2 32MB Card for very cheap. The seller listed it as untested and not working but he told me, that the Card had some Image Distortion back in the day. Since Geforce DDR Cards are super rare in my Area, i took the Chance and bought it.

After installing it, the Boot Screen came up normally without any Glitches, like when the Memory failed. In Windows i saw what the seller was telling: There is visible Ghosting and most noticeable if you place a Windows near a White Background.
I ran some 3DMark to see if 3D works and it does without any Problems. You see some ghosting there too, but overall its tolerable. I took the Card back out cleaned it and looked closer on the Board if there is some leaking Capacitor but i couldn't see anything.

I tried two different Monitors and 2 different VGA Cables, just to clear out the Possibilities of them causing the Problem.

So, I'm calling for Advice to you guys. Is there anything i can do to solve this Issue?

Cheers,
McLovinGR

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar problem once. I swapped out a TNT2 for a Geforce 2 MX 400, and the output looked horrible. In fact mine looked way worse. Bright colors were bleeding, windows were ghosting. I turned down the brightness, from max, I believe through the control panel, not the monitor, and it cleared right up.

No idea if this is your problem. If a previous user reported it, likely not. I honestly never really drilled down on my problem either. Was it the old craigslist freebie CRT I was using? Was the Geforce outputting and out of spec, overbright signal that was messing up the scanlines? Or maybe the Geforce wasn't able to properly output a vga signal when the intensity was so high?

Still, it's a low effort thing to try.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 9, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did not, only had the one CRT to work with.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 4 of 9, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I assume the additional port is svideo out? Can you try it on a TV to see if the problem goes away?

If it does. It's likely to just be terrible RF filtering on the VGA output. I had plenty of cards like this back in the day, AIBs were not particularly bothered about quality control or using low tolerance band components! If it does turn out to be the RF filtering you can clip the offending capacitors to restore a crisp image.

Reply 5 of 9, by McLovinGR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@paradigital:

You assume right, its S-Video Out. Unfortunately, i haven't any Cables or compatible TV to test it out. What capacitors have to go?

Attachments

Reply 8 of 9, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have exactly the same problem on my GeForce 256 DDR (Asus V6800)... but even worse. My guess is also damaged DAC. There is no visible damage on the card.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 9 of 9, by McLovinGR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the Replies guys!
So, it looks like its a common Problem on these Cards. I looked into @paradigital Suggestion, but its out of my comfort Zone to remove these small capacitors and test it out.