VOGONS

First post, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like some help finding out the cause for my monitor's edges looking almost like being damaged by water. Are they damaged by condesation or something and is this repairable? The monitor is a 99' Nokia 800XA and there seems to be nothing else wrong with it.

421130.jpg
Filename
421130.jpg
File size
655.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did the taskbar (or maybe that sidebar from Vista?) live on the right side of the screen before now?
I've had a similar looking problem at the bottom of the screen on some monitors. I've also had it happen pretty easily on rarely used secondary monitors because of icons or programs that I left open and didn't get covered very much.
If you think there's any chance it could be image persistence then you could try putting pure white over the screen for a few hours and see if it improves.

Otherwise though, if it's an internal problem with the panel then I don't know what can possibly be done about it.

Reply 2 of 7, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this obviously isn't image rentention because then it would actually look like whatever was on there before - i don't think the taskbar is wavy like that and wraps around the corner.

i've seen something that looks very much like this on some handheld consoles, found a pic here in the first post: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/918340-p … rtable/68749617 someone in that thread claims it's actually mold. so it's likely a manufacturing defect, as bad as that sounds.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks like antiglare layer coming off the screen
EDIT: No, it is probably a panel failure...

Last edited by Tiido on 2021-05-21, 02:11. Edited 1 time in total.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is halo. I have both on my Samsung monitor less noticeable and Samsung TV more noticeable but gets used to it. Age related, just accept it.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
auron wrote on 2021-05-20, 23:52:

this obviously isn't image rentention because then it would actually look like whatever was on there before - i don't think the taskbar is wavy like that and wraps around the corner.

I've had image retention problems on 2 or 3 monitors and it had that same waviness. The effect isn't binary.
But I agree that the way it starts to round the corner probably implies it's a panel issue.

Reply 7 of 7, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-05-21, 00:58:

Looks similar to the way my Samsung 204B has been degrading Questions about LCD panel failure modes

Yes this and the "halo" looks highly similar to mine. The brighter area runs all the way around the edges and doesn't care about brightness or contrast.

Previous owner told this was not present two years ago when the monitor was still in service and not in storage, so who knows. Failed in storage or not. Should probably see if I can do a panel swap.

Thanks for these answers.

E: I think the monitor/backlight just failed while I was changing its settings ; every time the monitor is turned on, it shows an image for a second or so and then disappears but both power and signal stay on. Backlight inverter failure?