VOGONS

First post, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys

I've successfully replaced a blown flyback transformer on my old 14in CRT monitor, don't have a lot of experience messing with CRTs but everything went well. My question now is how do I properly adjust the "SCREEN" knob? I have the service manual of the monitor but the adjustment instructions seem to depend on being able to measure luminance and stuff like that, in addition to being somewhat unclear:

(a) Set mode 5 (800x600 Fh: 46.8KHz) full white pattern.
(b) Press hold the Down/Up tow key simultaneously turn on the monitor, the most right four LEDs will
light up for a while then extinguish
(c) Input color adjust factory mode.
(d) Warm up more than 20 minutes.
(e) Brightness set to maximum. Contrast set to minimum full white pattern, then adjust FBT screen VR to
make Y= 1.0FL ± 0.2FL.
(f) Brightness set to raster just cutoff, adjust contrast to beY= 4±0.2FL, then adjust G-Bias, B-Bias, R-Bias,
to make the setting value, then adjust the R.G.B Bias individual to the color temperature x= 283 ± 10,
y= 298 ± 10.

Is there any standard/generic way of adjusting the screen voltage? I don't want it to be perfect, and in fact by randomly messing around a bit with it I've gotten to a point that it looks "good" to me... but I have no idea how far it is from the proper value. I've read about increasing it until raster lines appear on the screen with brightness and contrast at about 50%, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

Also, can anyone recommend a good test pattern suite? Something like the 240p test suite but for a PC CRT.

Thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 4, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the service manuals that I've seen, the procedure for setting G2 is roughly: put brightness/contrast to zero or 50% (it varies?), set the 'service mode' switch to collapse the vertical scan, and then adjust G2 until the horizontal line is just visible. Then adjust the R/G/B drive until the line is pure white in colour.

I've never replaced a flyback, but when I increase G2 on an old monitor I do it at full brightness and contrast, increase G2 until the horizontal edges of the raster are visible, and then back off G2 to just before the raster becomes visible. Funny enough even though the service manuals often seem to talk about a service mode switch, I've never actually seen such a switch inside a VGA/SVGA monitor.

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I basically do what maxtherabbit does, but I use a dark room to verify that screen is blank. G2/Screen aka acceleration voltage determines the initial acceleration speed of the electrons off the cathodes into anode (the screen itself), the higher it is the narrower the beam and the better focus you can get but at cost of video amps having harder time reaching cutoff on the cathodes as they must be driven harder to stop producing electrons which is why retrace lines appear or when tinting happens at black and dark things when it is too high. Higher acceleration also produces a brighter image since there's more energy in the electrons to pass to the screen and to some extent there's a geometry shift observable too.
Normal procedures try to make sure that no voltage in the tube itself is too high and that everything stays in the capability of the video amps to avoid any problems in future when the tube is sufficiently worn.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the input guys. I set the screen voltage as you mentioned and then found this little utility to run some tests:

https://github.com/unclejed613/video-test-bench-dos-freeware

Everything seems to be working fine!