VOGONS

voodoo 5 5500 run very very slow on 2000s games

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by homestarmake2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

voodoo 5 5500 is agp 2x but it run slow on 2000s games why WHY

Reply 3 of 13, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Helpful.

2000s is a long time. A Voodoo 5500 isn't going to be great at stuff from mid to late 2000s!

Perhaps if you actually told us your system specs and a game, and gave an indication of your experienced performance then we could compare with known good performance stats.

Reply 4 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
homestarmake2008 wrote on 2021-06-07, 20:19:

I RUN ANY 2000S GAMES THAT I LIKE

I am happy for you that you do, unfortunately this information does not help answer you question .

The Voodoo 5 5500 was released in 2000 . Assuming that by 2000s you mean from 2000 to 2009, it is not unexpected that games from the later part of that period would perform rather poorly (if at all) on a card from the year 2000 . Games released closer to the year 2000 would be expected to perform better on a card from the year 2000 . That said, the Voodoo 5 5500 lacks support for hardware T&L (Transform and Lighting) which put it at disadvantage compared to its competitors from the very beginning. Additionally while it has 64MB of VRAM, that memory is shared between both VSA100 chips (each chip can access 32MB) which means that textures typically had to be loaded twice (once for each VSA100 chip), so effective VRAM should more accurately be considered to be 32MB . Finally, 3dfx's demise meant that driver optimization for newer games never came, which yet again played against the Voodoo5 5500 .

That all being said, if you don't give examples of the games you find are slow and don't disclose what hardware you are running on (CPU, RAM, OS, 3dfx driver used, etc), nobody will be able to give any pertinent answer to your question .

Reply 5 of 13, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found out that with a cpu, better than a p3 1.6 ghz or an athlon 1,5ghz will get the best out of the 3dfx vd5 5500.
It will play almost any game without too many problems on 800x600x16bit color up until 2003 ish.
After that the settings go down to minimum really fast, taking in mind the games are starting at all due to the 32mb ram and lack of T&L support as mentioned above.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 6 of 13, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because Voodoo 5 was not even good at release.
Using 2 GPUs was just because 3Dfx could not develop a Decent Graphics Chip to compete with.
If you don`t have one good, use 2 not so good ones to overcome your issues.

If it would have released the right time in 1999 it would be cool, but instead it had to compete with GeForce 2 and here its simply not good enough.
The GeForce 2 was released short after V5..
And by no means the V5 could beat it.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 9 of 13, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
103026F2-A9A5-4A0E-B51B-435D3CDB1575.jpeg
Filename
103026F2-A9A5-4A0E-B51B-435D3CDB1575.jpeg
File size
16.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Troll Action

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 10 of 13, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been reading these threads as a mockery towards people: who weren't there (not born yet?) and didn't experience the phenomena first hand, are buying 3DFX cards because others talk about how cool it was, and are driving the prices to ludicrous range for the rest of us. I noticed this was happening a few years ago and bought all the cards I'll even need, plus extras, and I was there man, a 3DFX slave from the Monster onward. Obvious bait aside, maybe there's more depth to the author's scrawling than the substance suggests?

Reply 12 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maestro wrote on 2021-06-07, 23:11:

I've been reading these threads as a mockery towards people: who weren't there (not born yet?) and didn't experience the phenomena first hand, are buying 3DFX cards because others talk about how cool it was, and are driving the prices to ludicrous range for the rest of us. I noticed this was happening a few years ago and bought all the cards I'll even need, plus extras, and I was there man, a 3DFX slave from the Monster onward. Obvious bait aside, maybe there's more depth to the author's scrawling than the substance suggests?

I was guessing that a language/translation barrier may be at play, but the more I think about it, the less I think that is likely. Restricting oneself to similarly themed one-liners of little substance is not something one would typically expect to see from someone sincerely trying to communicate.

IMHO, this leaves, mental health issues, cognitive issues (from birth, accidental, neuro-degenerative disease, etc) or simple trolling as possible scenarios. I have nothing but respect for anyone facing either of the first two challenges in their lives. As for the possibility of this being a troll's work, I don't know what possible enjoyment it may be getting from it, but if this its only source of joy in life, I am sad for it .

EDIT: Corrected typos