VOGONS

First post, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Blood II: The Chosen, based on the Lithtech 1.0 engine, was released in 1998. It has both a software rendering mode and a Direct3D rendering mode, and both malfunction pretty badly on modern graphics cards. Software rendering doesn't do transparency, fog/smoke effects, colored lighting, et cetera correctly, and textures are often warped as if you're looking at them from an angle different from the one at which you're actually looking at them. The colored lighting isn't too surprising, since Quake II in software rendering wouldn't do colored lighting either, but it's also not really important. Games look fine without colored lighting. The transparency, smoke/fog effects, and warped textures, on the other hand, are noticeably horribad, and don't tell me that software rendering just can't do transparency. All the breakable windows in Quake II look fine in software rendering mode. With Direct3D rendering, the problems get much worse: menus become invisible and the HUD flickers in and out of existence at random.

I don't recall this always being the case. I'm betting that it has something to do with modern graphics cards... but what?

There are also third-party patches to get around an issue where the game crashes at any resolution with more than 1000 scanlines. Given that I used to play the game at 1600 x 1200 with no third-party workarounds or patches, I'm guessing that this also has something to do with modern graphics cards... but what?

What's the newest, beefiest graphics card that will play Blood II correctly, and why?

Aliens vs. Predator 2, based on a later version of the Lithtech engine, still works 100% correctly on a Geforce GT 730, if anyone's wondering.

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 1 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nothing you can do really. Just use dgVoodoo 2 wrapper. You're stuck with ugly undithered image, even if everything else works fine.

menus become invisible and the HUD flickers in and out of existence at random.

That's Nvidia bug with a very long history (dated early 2000s). Easily solvable with RivaTuner or Nvidia Inspector, but probably unfixable with modern drivers.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 9, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-19, 06:30:

What's the newest, beefiest graphics card that will play Blood II correctly, and why?

If you had RTX2070 or even better, then the game just work. I have Geforce GT 730 and the game just rocks and it rocks equally on Ryzen APU/Vega Graphics laptop.

If you wish to know more, then request mods to move the thread.

Reply 3 of 9, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-19, 06:39:

Just use dgVoodoo 2 wrapper.

Not an option for a Windows XP user.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-19, 06:39:

Easily solvable with RivaTuner or Nvidia Inspector

Okay... umm... how?

It sounds like the actual solution is to just get a Radeon.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 4 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For RivaTuner that's Blitting tab in Direct3D options. Something similar is also present in Nvidia Inspector, if I recall correctly.

It sounds like the actual solution is to just get a Radeon.

Won't fix lack of 16-bit dithering, unless it's Radeon X1950 or something older.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 9, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the record I installed the GOG version on my XP sys and the highest I can go is 1024 x 768 using a Geforce 7950 GT. Haven't applied any patches yet
though so can't vouch for them yet. Maybe in next few days I'll try some and post the results.

Got me curious on running this on a modern sys, I'll install on my ryzen sys and see how it goes.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 6 of 9, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I poked around a bit and there IS a solution:

- Add the line "maxfps=60" to the Autoexec.cfg and defaults.cfg files, and set them to read-only;
- Disable Directx 6 commands;
- Enable optimized Surfaces, poly gap fixing, and triple buffering;
- When you first run the game, press ~ to bring up the console, leave it open for 5 seconds, and then close it.

Blood II is now working 100% perfectly in Direct3D mode on my 32-bit WinXP partition, every time (except that 1600 x 1200 still isn't a selectable resolution and would probably crash my system if it was)

EDIT: since autoexec.cfg also has the resolution information, I tried adjusting the resolution to 1600 x 1200 manually using that file and it worked fine. So, Yay! Blood II working at 1600 x 1200 in Direct3D mode flawlessly.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 7 of 9, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-21, 07:05:
Okay, I poked around a bit and there IS a solution: […]
Show full quote

Okay, I poked around a bit and there IS a solution:

- Add the line "maxfps=60" to the Autoexec.cfg and defaults.cfg files, and set them to read-only;
- Disable Directx 6 commands;
- Enable optimized Surfaces, poly gap fixing, and triple buffering;
- When you first run the game, press ~ to bring up the console, leave it open for 5 seconds, and then close it.

Blood II is now working 100% perfectly in Direct3D mode on my 32-bit WinXP partition, every time (except that 1600 x 1200 still isn't a selectable resolution and would probably crash my system if it was)

EDIT: since autoexec.cfg also has the resolution information, I tried adjusting the resolution to 1600 x 1200 manually using that file and it worked fine. So, Yay! Blood II working at 1600 x 1200 in Direct3D mode flawlessly.

that's interesting, but what jumped out is bringing up the console for 5 seconds! how did you find that part out and do you know what it is doing that helps?

blood 2 is one of those strangely sensitive games, worse than most of others from that year!

Reply 8 of 9, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-06-22, 08:50:

what jumped out is bringing up the console for 5 seconds! how did you find that part out

DuckDuckGo.

gerry wrote on 2021-06-22, 08:50:

and do you know what it is doing that helps?

Not a clue. I don't even know if it's strictly necessary or not. I also don't know if capping the FPS at 60 is doing anything, or if disabling DirectX 6 is doing anything.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 9 of 9, by badsectoracula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-22, 09:54:

I also don't know if capping the FPS at 60 is doing anything, or if disabling DirectX 6 is doing anything.

At the past disabling DirectX 6 commands did fix some things for me when i used WinXP, so that could help. Also capping the FPS at 60 helps with mouse input working without "skipping" and other glitches (physics, collisions, enemies being way too hard/fast/etc) so you certainly want that too.