VOGONS

First post, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a late model VLB Trident TGUI9440-1 (9641, Bios 5.7) that I would like to upgrade from 1MB to two, but I do not understand the silk-screened instructions on the PCB. I have also never seen 'resistor packs' done like this before.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If this is your card, than it's already at 2MB. There are 8 chips soldered on the right side for 1MB and both sockets filled for another 1MB of memory. If it's still 1MB, than one or both chips in sockets could be broken.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The resistors only decide about the bus width of the chips for the first and second megabyte, ie 4 bits or 16 bits.
They should not need to be altered unless you do some modding to the card. Adding memory to preplaced sockets is not modding.

no idea though why your added megabyte isn't detected.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 7, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just popped those chips out and added two different chips. Still nothing. I may just buy more resistors and add them and see what happens, though I'm kind of leery of tearing it up. This card is surprisingly quick, and gave up very little to the Hercules S3 Trio64, may it rest in peace.

Last edited by Moogle! on 2021-06-25, 17:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

looking at the photo the sockets seem a bit deformed ... is that a lens artifact or real? if real could be cause of bad contact...

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 7, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Minor breakthrough. I have found a picture of another card with the Ram done the other way, with the two big chips making up the one 1MB. What's better is I can also discern what pretty much all though other components are due to using through hole technology.

Attachments