VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone know of a tool that tests vram for issues?

Reply 1 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think SciTech Display Doctor does it in the full test in DOS, but been a while since I've run it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-26, 22:37:

I think SciTech Display Doctor does it in the full test in DOS, but been a while since I've run it.

I seem to recall that too, but that would only test the memory required for a given video mode (and whatever buffering option is chosen). That may not be sufficient to test all of the memory a GPU has .

Reply 3 of 6, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There're special manufacturer's utilities to test memory of graphics cards. For example , MATS tests memory of NVIDIA's cards. It can be run from a bootable usb-stick. Of course it's difficult to find in Internet. It's not intended for users.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 4 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Video Memory Stress Test runs under Windows.
https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/video_ … tress_test.html
There's also a bootable version called Video Memory Stress Test Clean Environment.
Sadly it's abandoned and the documentation is originally in Russian with a not so great translation but it usually gets the job done.
It needs a 3D capable card I believe and some cards aren't correctly recognised so you need to specify the correct test parameters but most of the time it works out of the box.

Reply 6 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jager wrote on 2021-06-27, 21:39:

Video Memory Stress Test works with most VESA-compatible VGA cards, at least via bootable floppy image. Tested Tseng ET6000 & S3 Virge this way.

Oh, ok! It failed on a few 2D only cards for me so I was under the impression it needed some 3D feature(s).