VOGONS

First post, by zandengoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Voodoo 2 SLI system that when a glide game is launched will black screen, change resolutions (currently 800x600) and freeze. I have two Voodoo 2 STB 12MB cards, only slightly different. One is a single side 90Mhz memory, the other is dual side 100Mhz memory. Independently, they both work on the system I have them in. I have tried both cards individually in both free PCI slots and have been able to play any Glide game (been using Unreal for testing). The OS is Windows XP. I have tried drivers from FastVoodoo, Koolsmokey, and the reference driver. SLI is detected in the control panel, along with 8MB frame buffer and 16MB memory as expected for a Voodoo 2 SLI system. They are not overclocked. They are set to the default 90Mhz factory setting (as confirmed by the Voodoo 2 OC control panel I have installed). No environmental variables have been set. I have also set the PC bios from plug N play os to not and back. SLI cable was recently purchased from an ebay seller as I never had an SLI setup before.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Single sided 12MB?STB cards are reference designs, right?

I thought all reference cards with memory only on the front were 8MB, 12MB needed the 4MB bank on the rear of the card to be populated.

Reply 2 of 5, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paradigital wrote on 2021-08-30, 08:52:

I thought all reference cards with memory only on the front were 8MB, 12MB needed the 4MB bank on the rear of the card to be populated.

Yes, there are, with 1MB memory ICs:
https://vgamuseum.ru/gpu/3dfx/3dfx-v2-1000-pc … oodoo-ii-12-mb/

Getting back to the OP's question, I've never tested such a combination of single/dual sided Voodoo 2 cards in SLI.
It might be a general incompatibility, but it could also be something specific to your build.
But, you know, 3dfx probably had their reasons why their official drivers didn't allow SLI with different Voodoo 2 models. Btw, does the official driver actually detect SLI (since both are STB)?

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 3 of 5, by zandengoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2021-08-30, 09:04:
Yes, there are, with 1MB memory ICs: https://vgamuseum.ru/gpu/3dfx/3dfx-v2-1000-pc … oodoo-ii-12-mb/ […]
Show full quote
paradigital wrote on 2021-08-30, 08:52:

Yes, there are, with 1MB memory ICs:
https://vgamuseum.ru/gpu/3dfx/3dfx-v2-1000-pc … oodoo-ii-12-mb/

Getting back to the OP's question, I've never tested such a combination of single/dual sided Voodoo 2 cards in SLI.
It might be a general incompatibility, but it could also be something specific to your build.
But, you know, 3dfx probably had their reasons why their official drivers didn't allow SLI with different Voodoo 2 models. Btw, does the official driver actually detect SLI (since both are STB)?

Yes with the latest 3dfx reference drivers SLI is detected in the control panel. The STB cards are all reference design to my knowledge as they were all produced under 3Dfx directly.

Reply 4 of 5, by zandengoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it working. Went to the registry and cleared out the entire Software -> 3dfx branch where the card environment settings are set. Some setting in there worked prior but not with my SLI setup. Heck the thing even runs with the 3dfx reference driver. So the memory differences did not seem the make a difference after all.

Edit: Did some further testing and this variable is what was causing the lock up. "SSTV2_FASTPCIRD" It apparently enabled fast PCI reads, but in this case it seems like it was causing some sort of timing issue.

Reply 5 of 5, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to know! Glad you got them working. 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k