VOGONS

First post, by Dosler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello retro friends,

A few months ago I put together an SS7 system with an AMD K6-3 and V3 3000. Now I've got myself a K6-2 + in order to be able to play older, speed-sensitive, games more easily with the setmul option. An Epox ep-58mvp3c-m and Windows 98se are used.
But now I have a very strange problem. After changing the CPU, the Voodoo went on strike. I see the post screen and then the Windows start logo, but as soon as the desktop is to be displayed, the screen (Crt) goes into standby. I can still hear the windows start-up sound and with Alt + F4 I can get out of Windows again and the font reappears.->You can now turn off the computer.
What did I try:
Different monitor-same behavior
Other GPU (Matrox G200)-everything is fine
16 colors + 640x800 - is fine, as soon as I increase something, no picture is possible
put the AMD K6-3 back in - Voodoo shows a picture again
new instal of Windows98-no improvement, no picture in Windows with the Plus CPU
change Power Supply- no improvement
change drivers and GPU-Bios- no imprvment

So why does the Voodoo get the desktop displayed with the K6-3 and not with the K6-2 +?

Greeting

Reply 2 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try to disable "Video BIOS Cacheable" and "System BIOS Cacheable"? The K6-2+ is a mobile variant of the K6-III with 128KB L2 cache and it is recommended to disable both for better stability with those CPUs.

Also as kixs said, which drivers are you using for the Voodoo3?

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Incidentally I have a system with a K6-2+ and Voodoo 3000 AGP, running Win98SE and it works just fine...

May be a compatibility issue with your motherboard (mine is the DFI K6XV3+, so - same chipset, different board...)

Or maybe one of the components (board, CPU or Voodoo) is slightly defective...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys