VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm looking at expanding my collection to some of the earlier models but I don't want to collect anything that I can't ever see myself using. For NVIDIA I think TNT2 is a good stopping point and can't think of a good reason to use anything earlier. Likewise for ATI prior to the Rage 128 or XL.

When considering game and driver compatibility, is there any reason to use any of these earlier cards if the later (TNT2 or Rage 128) is available?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-09-07, 04:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really I guess unless you want official and mature Win 3.xx drivers.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 9, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well with the Rage Pro and related chips you can mess around with games that support the CIF api, however be warned that it's a pain in the butt:
https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI3DCIF/

Reply 5 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Riva 128/128ZX - flawed drivers and buggy rendering.
Riva TNT - more or less identical to TNT2, just slower, but capricious to CPU speed and motherboard chipsets.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-09-07, 07:01. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Being able to use UniVBE for RIVA 128 (especially the non-ZX variant)? I've never seen anyone testing this with that card due to being VBE 3.0 compliant.

This never really worked on TNT cards and will include VESA resolutions that aren't normally supported by nVidia cards such as 400x300 and 512x384. VBEPLUS with UniRefresh or VBEHz may somewhat address this problem but I find them inferior compared to what UniVBE offers (especially centering the screen).

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2021-09-07, 01:19. Edited 1 time in total.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 9 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any reason to use pre-TNT2 from NVIDIA or pre-Rage 128 from
ATI?

There may be if the graphics cards you want to perhaps ever use need to be ISA or VLB.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!