VOGONS

Reply 20 of 34, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry guys, guess I should have waited for confirmation but that baking stuff I've read so many success stories about, it was such a stupid yet amazing solution (or was it amazingly stupid?) that I just had to try it.

8 minutes at 200°C, aaaaand....it's dead. VGA failure beep codes on boot.

Guess I could try to improve my soldering skills with it and bring it back from the dead 😁 I'm keeping it aside for the time being for later surgery.

Thanks to all comments and help anyway ! I think my chef's career in electronics will end as a one-time thing.

Reply 21 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Boohyaka wrote on 2021-09-12, 08:42:
Sorry guys, guess I should have waited for confirmation but that baking stuff I've read so many success stories about, it was su […]
Show full quote

Sorry guys, guess I should have waited for confirmation but that baking stuff I've read so many success stories about, it was such a stupid yet amazing solution (or was it amazingly stupid?) that I just had to try it.

Guess I could try to improve my soldering skills with it and bring it back from the dead 😁 I'm keeping it aside for the time being for later surgery.

Thanks to all comments and help anyway ! I think my chef's career in electronics will end as a one-time thing.

You monster! What have you done? 😀
🤣

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 22 of 34, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2021-09-12, 08:42:
Sorry guys, guess I should have waited for confirmation but that baking stuff I've read so many success stories about, it was su […]
Show full quote

This is why i tell: Don't bake it. Only solder help it.

Baking of hardware is ALWAYS bad idea.. despite this method helps some pci-e graphic card. But really, it doesn't fix it for long time.
This is no repair. It is a bad job, mikey mouse job.

Reply 23 of 34, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah it was an experiment on a card I don't give many shits about. I did it straightaway after asking and being told to bake it, and before everyone else told me NOT to bake it.
of course putting a card in the kitchen oven doesn't sound like normal and a proper fix, but it somewhat was the real appeal of it, because it was silly.

In any case I'd rather not have killed the card, so as said this will probably my only electronics cooking experience 😀 and I'll try to save it someday.

Reply 24 of 34, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Boohyaka wrote on 2021-09-12, 09:52:

In any case I'd rather not have killed the card, so as said this will probably my only electronics cooking experience 😀 and I'll try to save it someday.

I probably wouldn't bother trying to fix it now.

S3 Trio/Virge PCI cards are a dime a dozen. Just get another and move on with life.

Reply 25 of 34, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nevermind. Next time we get someone contemplating baking a graphics card there will be one more person sharing their experience 😀

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 26 of 34, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2021-09-12, 10:25:
Boohyaka wrote on 2021-09-12, 09:52:

I probably wouldn't bother trying to fix it now.

S3 Trio/Virge PCI cards are a dime a dozen. Just get another and move on with life.

As said I have plenty of other cards, including another Trio64v+...they're available and super cheap. This was just an experiment. I'm keeping the baked card for soldering training, that is all 😀

Reply 27 of 34, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Out of curiosity, wouldn't "baking" a graphics card melt the plastic in the VGA and DVI connectors?

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 28 of 34, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No it wouldn't. It's the capacitors that don't survive 200'C heat.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 29 of 34, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-09-12, 13:02:

Out of curiosity, wouldn't "baking" a graphics card melt the plastic in the VGA and DVI connectors?

Probably.

But they are high temperature plastics, can probably survive 200C (just). A lot are designed for reflow soldering, so can take a certain amount of heat.

Electrolytic capacitors really don't like getting that hot though (I've cooked a couple using my hot air rework station). And not all connectors are going to be made using high temp plastics.

Reply 30 of 34, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A newer electronic component is capable of surviving a short time at 200c°

But an older part? No!

And baking of PC hardware is always a stupid idea. Except: baking PCI-E graphic card for selling... (but of course, it is a fraud.)

If you want to fix it, then please fix it right and not a Mickey Mouse job. (same as car with broken axle, fix it with duct tape... )

Experiment with baking is pointless. But I want to tell you: I didn't like: I told you: Please don't bake it , it doesn't help. What I see: You bake it.

But yes: Trio64v+ is not rarely.

If you bake it, please try at first with hot air gun with controlled temperature regulation. If it works well, it is capable of fixing the card. But you should cover plastic parts to protect from hot air storm.

Reply 31 of 34, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey man, I understand all of that, really 😀 I did it after The Snake Rider told me to go ahead, but BEFORE AlexZ, yourself, canthearu etc.. told me NOT to do it. Had I seen all those messages, I wouldn't have done it. My understanding was that it was a proper case for a bake trial, that was wrong, and I learnt my lesson 😉

Bottom line:

AlexZ wrote on 2021-09-12, 10:46:

Nevermind. Next time we get someone contemplating baking a graphics card there will be one more person sharing their experience 😀

Definitely 😁

Reply 32 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Through hole parts may have been wave or manually soldered after all the surface mount stuff was baked. So those might not be up to taking oven temperatures. I've found though that even surface mount sockets etc seem to have quite low temperature tolerance, so I wonder whether these were put on with a separate process also, or whether oven temp control was just "that tight" allowing them to survive by a degree or two.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.