VOGONS

First post, by smullyoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had some time to kill today and came up with this.
Put a layer of anti static wrap on the bottom, wrapped a few wood pieces with anti static wrap and screwed them in the drawer, then slot some cards.
Any downsides to storing cards on their sides? So far ive usually just lay them down flat.

3NAoGhZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is this ESD Bubble Foil ? 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 9, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smullyoz wrote on 2021-10-09, 21:34:

Put a layer of anti static wrap on the bottom, wrapped a few wood pieces with anti static wrap...

This is no conductive wrap, thus not anti static.
If the rose color isn't just added to deceive people, it only means that the bubble foil will not create big charges by itself.

... and screwed them in the drawer, then slot some cards.

The drawer... some unknown material wrapped in plastic laminate...

Any downsides to storing cards on their sides? So far ive usually just lay them down flat.

No, not at all, it is the recommended way to store this stuff.

I do this too. Here is my ghetto box of AGP and old PCI <=64MB:
file.php?mode=view&id=121292

This kind of ghetto storage is cheap, stackable and anti-static.
As the uncoated cardboard is conductive due to the ubiquitary humidity, no high voltages can build up, and charges get dissipated.
It is good style to grab the cards first by the slot brackets anyway, as this takes care of equalizing the potentials.

Attachments

• DSCN9013.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN9013.JPG
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 9, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smullyoz wrote on 2021-10-09, 23:40:

Nice, is it just any old cardboard?

Not "old" cardboard.
I took some then-new pieces of the same size (35x25x15cm) which I found convenient for my storage.
This was way cheaper and better suitable than any other box storage systems I knew of.
I am using these boxes for years now and am very satisfied.
The "separator inlets" I cut from thick cardboard, also taking care that there is no covering/coating/printing on them which could be detrimental to its antistatic properties.

Do i run danger of static build up in the drawer at all?

Well, static electricity builds up when non-conductive surfaces are being separated/moved away.
So I'd suspect that this might also be the case in your drawer, every time you open/close it.

Reply 6 of 9, by smullyoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retardware wrote on 2021-10-10, 00:01:
Not "old" cardboard. I took some then-new pieces of the same size (35x25x15cm) which I found convenient for my storage. This was […]
Show full quote

Nice, is it just any old cardboard?

Not "old" cardboard.
I took some then-new pieces of the same size (35x25x15cm) which I found convenient for my storage.
This was way cheaper and better suitable than any other box storage systems I knew of.
I am using these boxes for years now and am very satisfied.
The "separator inlets" I cut from thick cardboard, also taking care that there is no covering/coating/printing on them which could be detrimental to its antistatic properties.

Do i run danger of static build up in the drawer at all?

Well, static electricity builds up when non-conductive surfaces are being separated/moved away.
So I'd suspect that this might also be the case in your drawer, every time you open/close it.

Interesting, well hopefully theyre ok in the drawer.
That brings up another question, are they better stored or better used as far as longevity? As we know parking your car and not using will destroy its tires for example as they're meant to be used. What about GPUs?

I mean i have a TI4200 that was basically sitting in a cardboard box for 10+ years, then i took it out put some new thermal paste and off it went, working great.

Reply 8 of 9, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retardware wrote on 2021-10-09, 23:11:

Put a layer of anti static wrap on the bottom, wrapped a few wood pieces with anti static wrap...

This is no conductive wrap, thus not anti static.
If the rose color isn't just added to deceive people, it only means that the bubble foil will not create big charges by itself.

^this

I mean sure the bubblewrap helps to protect, but the "anti-static" effect of the pink colored stuff is just that it doesn't produce static, it doesn't protect from static discharge, as long as you discharge yourself before handling them the chances of a static discharge are slim, but if you want to be absolutely sure you need to store them in sealed conductive bags ^^

but in all honesty it's probably fine, as you'll grab them by the cooler anyways ^^

Reply 9 of 9, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Things are a little more complicated when you step into hundreds 😒

I'm using these Ikea pot lid organisers ( https://www.ikea.com/ch/en/p/variera-pot-lid- … steel-70154800/ )

Attachments

• vga-lid-pot.jpg
    Filename
    vga-lid-pot.jpg
    File size
    505 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Windows 98 and SAMBA | Quake CPU Benchmarks | GeForce2: GTS vs MX400