VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have an EGA monitor so I can't test this card so is this card any good it's got a 9 pin video port and the only model ID is "MD-B06-B" is there an adapter from EGA to VGA?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That EGA card is a typical late Super EGA card. The CHIPS EGA implementation is widespread and known to be good. A classic EGA card only has a 16.257MHz box (often replaced by 16.000 on clone cards), whereas your card also has a 25 MHz and a 28 MHz clock generator, which shows that the card supports higher resolutions than 640x350 at 60 Hz.

For normal EGA cards, a simple EGA->VGA adapter is impossible, because the EGA card outputs either 15.600 or 21.000 lines per seconds, but VGA monitors require at least 30000 lines per second. The typical solution, used e.g. by the OSSC is sampling the EGA lines and outputting them twice at the double speed, so you get 31.200 or 42.000 lines per second, which is handled by most newer VGA-like monitors, and VGA-compatible LCD screens.

On the other hand, the 25MHz and 28MHz boxes on your EGA card are exactly what you would find on a VGA card, so it is possible that the card can be jumpered into a mode where it uses VGA-compatible timings. It still outputs a 6-bit digital signal, whereas a VGA monitor needs a 3-wire analog signal. If the frequency matches, this conversion can be done with a simple set of resistors.

Reply 2 of 4, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Mkarcher I will keep this card for later use I'll have a look at my CRT as it has BNC and VGA and it might have a 9 pin connector too, do you know the name of this card or where a manual for the settings is?

Reply 3 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GabrielKnight123 wrote on 2021-10-31, 12:48:

Thanks Mkarcher I will keep this card for later use I'll have a look at my CRT as it has BNC and VGA and it might have a 9 pin connector too, do you know the name of this card or where a manual for the settings is?

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the card except what I see. The most helpful thing might be the ROM label calling it "EXEGA III", but that doesn't yield any Google hits. If you find a FCC ID on that card, googling for that number might help. If you read the ROM chip, some other labels for that card might show up, too.

Reply 4 of 4, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The presence of a 25 MHz clock generator raises the possibility that this EGA card could be capable of driving non-standard "CGA Plus" 640x400 monitors typically used by Olivetti M24 (AT&T 6300) PCs.