VOGONS

Dual gpu pci cards

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 39, by janih

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is also NVIDIA Quadro4 400 NVS PCI: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/quadro4 … 0-nvs-pci.c1459 that might fit here. Those seem to be quite cheap on ebay, but im not sure if that is much faster than a Radeon 7500.

Reply 21 of 39, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a Quadro 4 400 NVS recently. Note that this is actually the "Quadro NVS" rebranded and is based on the GeForce 4 MX AKA GeForce 2 MX and is limited to DirectX 7. I didn't do extensive testing but I had a lot of resource conflicts trying to get this to work with Windows 98 or ME. It probably works fine with Windows NT/2K but I wanted to mention it. There is literally I think only one (maybe two?) drivers that will recognize this card on Windows 9x.

I also have a ATI Rage Fury MAXX. It's a pretty neat toy but is not very compatible or very fast with what it does work with. It was also completely superseded be the next generation in both speed and compatibility. It's best feature is the ability to turn off one of the GPUs and function as a normal Rage 128 Pro.

Reply 22 of 39, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Best solution I can think of if you want something period correct:

Matrox G200 MMS. http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/ … matrox-g200-mms

8MB SGRAM per GPU, 2 or 4 GPU models.

Makes for an excellent primary GPU to go along with a V2 setup if one wanted as well.

Reply 24 of 39, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

I also have a ATI Rage Fury MAXX. It's a pretty neat toy but is not very compatible or very fast with what it does work with. It was also completely superseded be the next generation in both speed and compatibility. It's best feature is the ability to turn off one of the GPUs and function as a normal Rage 128 Pro.

And work correctly (with Rage 128 Pro drivers) in Windows 2000, for example, when one does that, AFAICR from when I had one briefly back in the day .

Reply 25 of 39, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can I ask a question on a tangent?
Anybody ever explore how these oddball cards enumerate in later machines for use in virtual machines?
IE, separate iommu groups, reset capability, idle power manage, and the like...

I still own a few of the examples that work natively like they should so I'm not so interested in those answers. But maybe the FuryMaxx thing I never had = if natively it had issues, can it be broken up and vfio passed to two separate vm's? Then all of a sudden it's more functional than native.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 26 of 39, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
janih wrote on 2021-12-17, 06:56:

There is also NVIDIA Quadro4 400 NVS PCI: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/quadro4 … 0-nvs-pci.c1459 that might fit here. Those seem to be quite cheap on ebay, but im not sure if that is much faster than a Radeon 7500.

Actually, I hear that the geforce 2,3,4 series perform quite well on socket 7 because of less driver overhead. I found one for 14z put order in thanks!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 27 of 39, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CwF wrote on 2021-12-17, 19:25:

Can I ask a question on a tangent?
Anybody ever explore how these oddball cards enumerate in later machines for use in virtual machines?
IE, separate iommu groups, reset capability, idle power manage, and the like...

What motherboard with support for IOMMU groups also has a PCI slot? Also, I've only head of this feature being used with PCI Express. Can PCI slots even be passed through to a virtual machine?

Reply 28 of 39, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-12-18, 00:52:

What motherboard with support for IOMMU groups also has a PCI slot? Also, I've only head of this feature being used with PCI Express. Can PCI slots even be passed through to a virtual machine?

Sure PCI is supported, likely most/any from around intel series 3 with vt-d. I've used Q35, 5520, Q67, 602, etc. Needs the right cpu, typically a xeon. Not often, or for very long, I've tested good a 5450pci, some random ~9200, and an AIW 7200(?). I have not tried nvidia except a 710pci I think, it's bridge chip fails.

I have gone through many iterations for XP and all modern pcie. My current quadro and amd sky cards work fine, and are single slot peak performance. Something from right at the pcie transition without a bridge chip of any kind or a working one (amd5450HD) with dual gpu in a single slot reaching back to W98...I'd want to try it. One issue is their state while not used. Many idle hot.

known supermicro boards in action, C7Q67, X9SRA, X8DTi.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 29 of 39, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
libby wrote on 2021-12-17, 09:47:
Best solution I can think of if you want something period correct: […]
Show full quote

Best solution I can think of if you want something period correct:

Matrox G200 MMS. http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/ … matrox-g200-mms

8MB SGRAM per GPU, 2 or 4 GPU models.

Makes for an excellent primary GPU to go along with a V2 setup if one wanted as well.

Something cool that gives max perf. No conserns for period correct really.

I like that card btw. Pretty cool

Kahenraz wrote on 2021-12-17, 08:45:

I bought a Quadro 4 400 NVS recently. Note that this is actually the "Quadro NVS" rebranded and is based on the GeForce 4 MX AKA GeForce 2 MX and is limited to DirectX 7. I didn't do extensive testing but I had a lot of resource conflicts trying to get this to work with Windows 98 or ME. It probably works fine with Windows NT/2K but I wanted to mention it. There is literally I think only one (maybe two?) drivers that will recognize this card on Windows 9x.

It’s dual cpu. I’m running xpsp3

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 30 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the oldest dual graphics? I'm thinking about the ATI Graphics Ultra I think it was with both Mach8 and 8514 clone graphics, though it used one in DOS and one in Windows.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 31 of 39, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-18, 04:12:

I don't think there are any dual-GPU cards that would provide better performance a dual-monitor capable single-GPU card. Dual GPU and SLI has always been a novelty thing with very little benefit over choosing something available from a later generation.

Reply 32 of 39, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-12-18, 06:18:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-18, 04:12:

I don't think there are any dual-GPU cards that would provide better performance a dual-monitor capable single-GPU card. Dual GPU and SLI has always been a novelty thing with very little benefit over choosing something available from a later generation.

these socket 7 mobos are very picky

If the drivers aren’t requiring sse it’s the pci slot that doesn’t have 3.3v 🤣 it’s like one out of 10-20 cards actually half way works with these mobos if you try to put even slightly more modern hardware in then and 1/3 times even old hardware. Like my rage 128 doesn’t even work… the heck

The best working cards I’ve found so far are radeon 7000/7500 cards. I’m hoping the radeon 9000 works well fingers crossed

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 33 of 39, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-15, 05:22:
misterjones wrote on 2021-12-15, 05:17:

I think the only single board/2 GPU cards that would "make sense" on a P233MMX would be one of the Quandum 3D Obsidian joints with either a pair of Voodoo 1, Voodoo Rush, or maybe Voodoo 2 chipsets.

Was there a voodoo card that didn’t need a 2d counterpart, that could do sli on two cards and had dvi?

4500?

There was the Voodoo Rush and Voodoo Banshee. IIRC Quantum 3D did have a Voodoo Rush card, and I'm pretty sure there was a single card-sli variant of it.
Can't say what they did with the Banshee though.

Reply 34 of 39, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should have clarified that when I refer to dual GPUs not being useful and a novelty I was not referring to the Voodoo 2 SLI and Voodoo 5 multi GPU. For games which support these technologies and the benefits of Glide, there is a real benefit to these cards.

What I was referring to was ATI and NVIDIAs dual GPUs and PCIe SLI. I don't see a lot of benefit from these.

Reply 35 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-12-19, 00:38:

I should have clarified that when I refer to dual GPUs not being useful and a novelty I was not referring to the Voodoo 2 SLI and Voodoo 5 multi GPU. For games which support these technologies and the benefits of Glide, there is a real benefit to these cards.

What I was referring to was ATI and NVIDIAs dual GPUs and PCIe SLI. I don't see a lot of benefit from these.

Moar POWA!!!!

True most games do e benefit that much from triple or quadruple GPUs, but so what.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36 of 39, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the colorgraphic dual radeon 9000 is a no go. No video output.

Suspect that it’s probably lack of 3.3v on pci that is doing it.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 37 of 39, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One huge deal - that quad Radeon is just "four separate video cards" to the OS to run many displays. It does *NOT* support any form of internal CrossFire. If you only have one display plugged in, it's only going to use one GPU. It would be functionally identical to plugging in four dual-head Radeon 9000 64MB cards into four PCI slots. (Yes, the "256 MB VRAM" is because is has four 64MB cards on it.)

Reply 38 of 39, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-21, 08:01:

Well, the colorgraphic dual radeon 9000 is a no go. No video output.

Make sure to inspect the board closely for broken SMD components. I find that this is often the case for used cards not working that I've bought off of eBay.

Reply 39 of 39, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There some speed-doubling solutions:

- 3Dfx Voodoo 1 (rare), Voodoo 2 (SLI), Voodoo 5-6 series
- Multi-chip Voodoo solutions by Quantum3D
- Ati Rage Fury MAXX (never seen PCI-version)
- some CAD accelerators like Fujitsu Sapphire 2SX (non-gaming)

There many multi-display solutions based on simple S3, Cirrus, Trident chips up to like-modern ATI and Nvidia chips but they do not accelerate 3D-speed.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉