VOGONS

BIOS needed for Octek VL-COMBO

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 25, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is some impressive performance 😮. I'm waiting to receive some eeprom to test XTide. It is required to use the DOS driver with XTide? Or XTide enables all the good stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 23 of 25, by hasat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are dumps from my card-Revision 2.1 - Promise BIOS is not on C800 address, but on D800 and it's size is 8k, according to what I found with Microsoft Diagnostics program from DOS 6.22. It's also included in ZIP archive.
Also found something interesting - Catalog of Octek products with specifications and jumper settings from August 1998 in Windows HLP format. Run included octeknet.exe in your retro machine (probably max with WinXP, in my retro laptop with 64bit Windows 7 refuses to run). In discontinued products are two versions of our Octek VL-COMBO card.

Attachments

• Filename
    octeknet.exe
    File size
    408.13 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File comment
    selfextracting ZIP, not running in x64 systems
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    VL-COMBO_REV 2.1.ZIP
    File size
    20.82 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 25, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested the XTide ROM (386 8kb version) with the Promise controller, it went from 5.5 Mb/s using the DOS driver to 6.6 Mb/s without the driver. Not bad, I guess the CF is on the limit of it's performance.

Attachments

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 25 of 25, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hasat wrote on 2021-12-18, 10:46:

Also found something interesting - Catalog of Octek products with specifications and jumper settings from August 1998 in Windows HLP format. Run included octeknet.exe in your retro machine (probably max with WinXP, in my retro laptop with 64bit Windows 7 refuses to run). In discontinued products are two versions of our Octek VL-COMBO card.

Great find!

BTW you can always use right-click -> 7-Zip -> open, if you have 7-Zip installed - this should also work on Win x64.

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...