VOGONS

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi people! I've checked the manual for updating the firmware on an Extron RGB-HDMI 300A, from what I can see there are only 2 possibilities:

cable1.jpg

cable2.jpg

These are the 2 cables de Extron RGB-HDMI 300 A admits for updating the scaler.
So, my guess we can only update the firmware via an old computer with a serial port?
BTW, the reason why I want to update the scaler is because the image flickers a little bit.

Reply 1 of 5, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Serial is the way to do it, either via the TRS cable above, or via the other serial connection on the back of the device; the manual contains pinouts. I made my own cable. You don't need an old computer; a USB to serial adapter works wonders, so it's just a matter of sourcing the software (which still works on Win11). If you contact Extron, they'll be more than happy to help with software.

Reply 2 of 5, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RichB93 wrote on 2021-12-26, 14:49:

Serial is the way to do it, either via the TRS cable above, or via the other serial connection on the back of the device; the manual contains pinouts. I made my own cable. You don't need an old computer; a USB to serial adapter works wonders, so it's just a matter of sourcing the software (which still works on Win11). If you contact Extron, they'll be more than happy to help with software.

Hey! Thanks a lot for the tip! DO you think there could be any beneficial effects on the image video processing of the Extron RGB-HDMI 300A by updating the firware?

Reply 3 of 5, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There could be, depending on how old the current firmware is. Do have a play with the settings, even after doing the auto setup on the image - doing some improved the image quality for me when capturing from a 3DFX card.

Reply 4 of 5, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RichB93 wrote on 2021-12-26, 18:05:

There could be, depending on how old the current firmware is. Do have a play with the settings, even after doing the auto setup on the image - doing some improved the image quality for me when capturing from a 3DFX card.

Yeah. I've been fiddling with It for the last couple of days and improved image a lot. I use It for capturing DOS footage. I'll check the firmware update info and maybe I'll try and see if there is any improvement at all.

Reply 5 of 5, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RichB93 wrote on 2021-12-26, 14:49:

Hey,

the manual is not very clear on this point. It's just stating RS-232 but when I search for usb to rs-232 adapter most of them are rs-232 TTL adapters, and I believe that TTL and RS-232 are actually different, or may I go ahead with a RS-232 TTL adapter ?

Thanks

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub