VOGONS

Laguna3D chip versions questions?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If I remember right, Laguna3D has a "filtering quality" slider that adjusts the bilinear filtering quality between bad and terrible. I thought that was fun. The textures float and wobble around somewhat like a PS1. Subpixel accuracy and perspective correction problems among other things? The slider seemed to control how much precision it tried to have, but at a speed cost. Broken no matter what though. Vintage3D (aka Putas) did an in-depth look at it.

These and the early Rage cards couldn't touch 3dfx because they weren't of the same hardware capability. It's not just a matter of drivers. I think Rage 128 finally had reached all of the Voodoo1's features (and some new stuff too of course). Rage Pro still had some blending problems.

Reply 21 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

The slider seemed to control how much precision it tried to have, but at a speed cost. Broken no matter what though. Vintage3D (aka Putas) did an in-depth look at it.

Yes, but just disabling texture filtering (where it's possible) has much more impact, than setting filtering to lowest possible setting in driver. I suspect that Laguna 3D AGP is capable to properly filter textures with perfect perspective correction, but performance falloff is so horrible that Cirrus Logic had to disable that quality option completely. They've crippled 3DO M2 chip design too much.

Without filtering it easily beats Matrox Mystique, ATi Rage II, SIS 6326 and any S3 Virge card.

Get up, come on get down with the sickness
Open up your hate, and let it flow into me

Reply 22 of 24, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-01-12, 21:30:

I suspect that Laguna 3D AGP is capable to properly filter textures with perfect perspective correction, but performance falloff is so horrible that Cirrus Logic had to disable that quality option completely. They've crippled 3DO M2 chip design too much.

But do we know the M2 enough to be able to say this and that was crippled?

Reply 23 of 24, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@swaaye Interesting, thanks. 😀

I've found a Laguna card at a good price I'd possibly buy but still deciding. Cirrus Logic is my best brand card on my 386 machine so no matter how broken those cards might be I respect these alternative brands history and how much they tried with many solutions. At last Trident and SiS also did make good things after the Blade3D (included imho all considered) and the 6326. Maybe too late but it looks like their early 2000 solutions weren't bad at all. Maybe on the marketing side, looking back at those times, the extreme race for the fastest cards and similar things was such a useless thing from the consumer point of view and so many much cheaper cards were more than enough for most 3D games instead of going for the usual reviewed cards of those times..
After all I did buy the Kyro2 in its time for a similar reason (Trident and SiS solutions weren't easily available around local stores) and it was a great card, no matter what they said about compatibility it had a good driver support for a long time.

Last edited by 386SX on 2022-01-13, 10:15. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 24 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well yes, there's a lot of footage from games on cancelled Panasonic M2.

Get up, come on get down with the sickness
Open up your hate, and let it flow into me