VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So a while back I bought a second Voodoo2 12MB with the intention of going SLI but due to a lack of time due to family circumstances, I only this week could get around to testing it.

To test, I first wanted to make sure the card worked with existing drivers so I removed my previous Voodoo2 (Guillemot Maxigamer) and plugged in the new one. I got image, Windows 98 detected the card as before and shows it "working" ... but there was no V2 1000 menu under Display and games don't detect Glide either. I'm using the FastVoodoo 2 4.0 Gold drivers which worked great with the other card but no matter what I did, games refused to detect it as a 3D card.

So have I been had? Is this card a dud? Or is there something I'm missing?

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 1 of 11, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 detected the card as before... what do you suggest with this line? Did windows ask for driver installation and you installed it?

Else you could try removing the driver in safe mode and install it again by yourself manually.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 2 of 11, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aebtdom wrote on 2022-01-18, 23:21:

Windows 98 detected the card as before... what do you suggest with this line? Did windows ask for driver installation and you installed it?

Else you could try removing the driver in safe mode and install it again by yourself manually.

Well the old and new cards are functionally identical so I didn't remove the old driver. When I replaced the card, it just detected using the same drivers as the previous one. I also removed it and manually assigned the drivers again but that didn't help either.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 3 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red_avatar wrote on 2022-01-19, 06:48:
Aebtdom wrote on 2022-01-18, 23:21:

Well the old and new cards are functionally identical so I didn't remove the old driver. When I replaced the card, it just detected using the same drivers as the previous one. I also removed it and manually assigned the drivers again but that didn't help either.

They may be functionally identical but have different vendor IDs etc, so the control panel may not be launching. Try removing and reinstalling the drivers IMO.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 11, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, try re-installing the drivers. I'd also advise installing the latest reference drivers instead of the ones you are using, as they overclock the card slightly if my recollection is right (90 MHz -> 100 MHz). In the case that the control panel still doesn't show up, the first thing I'd try is trying a 3Dfx game under DOS, such as say Tomb Raider with the Voodoo Rush patch. Copy glide2x.ovl from your drivers folder to the folder of the game and try it. If all of that fails, then ask again!

Reply 5 of 11, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If its a Diamond Monster Voodoo II then try using the last official Diamond Drivers, Diamond did a few things weird with their cards that meant using Official drivers wouldn't always work.

Source, I own a pair of Diamond Monster Voodoo IIs and the official drivers have always had issues with them, even community drivers will sometime balk at them and hang the system when accessing the windows display panel for them.

I usually Install the last Official drivers from Diamond then Install the community ones over them and that seems to fix any problems ..Im guessing its a registry issue or dll problem . .not sure but its always worked.

Reply 6 of 11, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks folks - I'll try the suggestions when I can.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 7 of 11, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:03:

If its a Diamond Monster Voodoo II then try using the last official Diamond Drivers, Diamond did a few things weird with their cards that meant using Official drivers wouldn't always work.

Source, I own a pair of Diamond Monster Voodoo IIs and the official drivers have always had issues with them, even community drivers will sometime balk at them and hang the system when accessing the windows display panel for them.

Seconding the above. I am far from expert with these cards but my anecdotal experience with my Monster II is that there were issues (just plain old "didn't work", mainly, or sometimes a partial detection which didn't actually allow Glide to work) with various drivers packs like FastVoodoo and reference drivers. At first, that gave me doubts about whether the card worked or not. But official Diamond drivers like this from Vogons Vintage Driver Library brought everything to life perfectly.

Reply 9 of 11, by Cbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. remove driver files/registry entries with driver cleaner
2. reinstall drivers.
if not working, try to move the card to another slot or try clean windows installation. or try both 😀
if card is properly detected, there's software glitch that blocks voodoo2 control panel to show up.

Reply 10 of 11, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:03:

I usually Install the last Official drivers from Diamond then Install the community ones over them and that seems to fix any problems ..Im guessing its a registry issue or dll problem . .not sure but its always worked.

Also concur. Same issues I experienced with Diamond Voodoo 2 cards. The most trouble I had was with 3DfxV2ps.dll (Control Panel), otherwise I could get them working, but no configuration outside of the registry.

Reply 11 of 11, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also - This is the point where I reinstall Windows 9x. I give Windows exactly 1 try with Voodoo cards. If anything needs to change, unfortunately, time to reinstall. Make an image and get used to firing it up.