VOGONS

First post, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So as the title says, My Viewsonic PF790's EDID info appears to be corrupt, Windows 98 defaults to 640x480 without any way of changing it outside Powerstrip, XP, 7 and 11 all show up as an "analog monitor" and have no monitor info or settings present. Changing the vga cable does nothing to fix it.

Any idea how to fix this?

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 1 of 4, by libv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EDID is normally housed in a small i2c rom. You can try to find that chip and reflash it. Or you can try to intercept the ddc wires and have a microcontroller fake things (which is what some hdmi edid emulators do).

DDC/EDID is a comparatively new standard. It only appeared during the time PCI graphics cards were a thing, the earliest cards i have that do edid are S3 Trio64v+, or Tseng ET6000. Around the same time, blue VGA connectors appeared to show that the graphics cards were DDC/EDID capable.

Back in the day, people got monitor specific .inf files and installed those. So perhaps that is a solution for your win98 installation.

Reply 2 of 4, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
libv wrote on 2022-04-06, 06:50:

EDID is normally housed in a small i2c rom. You can try to find that chip and reflash it. Or you can try to intercept the ddc wires and have a microcontroller fake things (which is what some hdmi edid emulators do).

DDC/EDID is a comparatively new standard. It only appeared during the time PCI graphics cards were a thing, the earliest cards i have that do edid are S3 Trio64v+, or Tseng ET6000. Around the same time, blue VGA connectors appeared to show that the graphics cards were DDC/EDID capable.

Back in the day, people got monitor specific .inf files and installed those. So perhaps that is a solution for your win98 installation.

Thanks for the advise on the monitor inf, I found one that was marked for a Geforce2 but it works, only downside is I'm not getting 85hz @ 1024x768 (only 75hz) but modifying the inf might fix it.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)

Reply 3 of 4, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mastergamma12 wrote on 2022-04-06, 07:20:

Thanks for the advise on the monitor inf, I found one that was marked for a Geforce2 but it works, only downside is I'm not getting 85hz @ 1024x768 (only 75hz) but modifying the inf might fix it.

HZTool is on my "must have tools" for W9x systems:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080112121741/ht … .spray.se/doxx/

Reply 4 of 4, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-04-13, 20:52:
mastergamma12 wrote on 2022-04-06, 07:20:

HZTool is on my "must have tools" for W9x systems:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080112121741/ht … .spray.se/doxx/

Dude, That did the trick 😁 😁, THANK YOU

NNH9pIh.png