VOGONS

Reply 21 of 58, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is also double buffering and other options who eat up video memory.
Its not only about Resolution and Color Depth.

We don`t talk about "Plain DOS 2D Applications.."

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 22 of 58, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Double buffering (which depends of the resolution and color depth), textures and GUI acceleration does indeed eat video memory.

I wasn't talking about basic DOS applications at all, there are also 2D Windows games be it accelerated or not that sometimes tend to be overlooked.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 23 of 58, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this may be helpful

Pentium MMX 233 aiming for the stars!

personally, radeon 7500 and radeon 9200 pro are my top favs for this platform.

there is also of course the option of upgrading to a k6-3+ your motherboard probably supports up to 75x6 450mhz possibly even 83.3x6 500mhz. the k6-3+ would also allow you to install that 256mb of ram without much performance hit from the caching issue that 430tx chipsets have (is yours a 430tx?)
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 58, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Simply go for a GPU that isn't too heavy on the CPU with drivers. Else you will have some serious performance loss in age appropriate games. Hence anything above or newer then a geforce mx will be a waste of time. Newer games that support T&L are held back severely by the CPU. Personally I would stick on a Voodoo 2 or a TNT2 m64, and if you have a SS7 mainboard with an AGP, maybe go for a GF2 card tops, but this one already slows down your CPU in gaming.

And if you have a SS7 board, put a K6-2 CPU on it and have a good performance increase to actually benefit from a 7500 or a 9200.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 25 of 58, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh Radeon is pretty slow, actually a older nvidia card is better for a K6-2 or Pentium MMX with older Drivers.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc

Reply 26 of 58, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would use Riva TNT2 and if that doesn't work then TNT1. Excellent DOS compatibility and 3D acceleration. With Riva TNT2 you may be able to play many Windows 3D games with reduced details up to year 1999.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 27 of 58, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote on 2022-04-15, 14:38:

Oh Radeon is pretty slow, actually a older nvidia card is better for a K6-2 or Pentium MMX with older Drivers.

We’ve seen great gf2 and gf3 results in 3dmark 2000 with older drivers on pmmx to k-3+. But I’m not sure those numbers actually translate to in game performance. I got worse performance on a ti500 than my 9800 pro on a k6-3+ In halo. (Which I actually played and at playable frame rates on the 9800 pro)

Not 100% sure what the best card for OP is, but I ro know that I’ve had so much trouble even getting cards to work at all on those socket 7 systems. And the radeon 7500 and 9200 seem to have really good success rates and good performance.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 29 of 58, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
idan182 wrote on 2022-04-17, 06:34:

A TNT PCI can't be found anywhere... and on ebay, and price is ridiculous (180-200$)

I have found a S3 Savage 4 LT with 8MB

Can it connect with the Voodoo 2? As it's 2d/3d card already

You should be able to connect any secondary card you want to the Voodoo 2. The V2 shoooullllddd only kick in when the PC detects the Glide API. You may have to mess with the drivers and disable other graphic APIs on the Voodoo or deal with some driver overlap issues though. I haven't ever tried a Voodoo with another full on 3D card, but i know its been done.

Reply 30 of 58, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idan182 wrote on 2022-04-17, 06:34:

I have found a S3 Savage 4 LT with 8MB

Can it connect with the Voodoo 2? As it's 2d/3d card already

Certainly. There are lots of people using Voodoo2 with cards much newer than Savage4. Check this thread: Is a Voodoo 2 worth the cost

Reply 31 of 58, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can also use ISA/VLB Cards with 3Dfx. its fully independent from your primary card.

Reply 32 of 58, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote on 2022-04-17, 19:39:

You can also use ISA/VLB Cards with 3Dfx. its fully independent from your primary card.

Yeah, but why use ISA or VLB video cards (other than tinkering and entertainment) when the OP's machine can use PCI ones which are a lot faster.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 33 of 58, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK
So... I have the option to get:

-Savage 4 LT 8MB PCI
-Voodoo Banshee 16MB PCI

Currently I have S3 2MB + Voodoo 2 which is bad in DirectDraw 2D games (because of the 2MB?)
I prefer to have either one of these instead of getting a 4MB S3 + Voodoo2
Is it a good fit Savage4+Voodoo 2/ Banshee+Voodoo 2?
Maybe getting one of them, I would not have to use the voodoo..

which one will have better compatibility with keen, hexen, duke3d and those games?
I know it's an overkill for this PC but I can get them for very cheap.

Reply 34 of 58, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you already have a Voodoo2, you have an optimal setup. What DDraw games are causing you issues? You will not really see a performance boost with a card that is faster at 2D, plus 2MB should be enough for the games the rest of the system will be able to play.

Reply 35 of 58, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2022-04-18, 06:57:

If you already have a Voodoo2, you have an optimal setup. What DDraw games are causing you issues? You will not really see a performance boost with a card that is faster at 2D, plus 2MB should be enough for the games the rest of the system will be able to play.

Heroes 3 moves a bit slow, I had Voodoo Rush and it ran faster.
I can't manage to run it on the voodoo 2 (this game is d3d? directdraw?) so it uses the S3 2MB right now.

As for Keen and Dangerous Dave 2 for example, the Diamond S3 2000 Flashes bad.
Keen is fixable with "svga compatibility option" but for dave, there is no such option. so I want to replace that 2D card anyway.

Reply 36 of 58, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo Rush is in no way faster than your S3 Virge when it comes to 2D. The Alliance chip on the Rush was derided at the time, where as S3 had one of the most compatible and fast enough 2D cores. There's either something wrong with the drivers used or more likely you are witnessing a placebo effect 😀.

The reason HOMM3 is slow is your CPU. As stated before by me and other people in the thread, the MMX 233 is slow for this game. Or you know, it was more acceptable to wait for the AI to do its thing at the time. The game does not make use of Direct3D at all. Your Voodoo2 can not accelerate it in any way.

I'm not sure what issues you are encountering with those DOS games, but I'm sure they can be fixed. If you are dead set on replacing this card, my recommendation, as said earlier in the thread, is the Voodoo Banshee PCI. Do not get the S3 Savage4, it will not perform well on this CPU.
If you do get the Banshee, do not combo it with the Voodoo2, remove the V2 all-together and run the entire system with one video card. The Voodoo2 can be much faster than the Banshee, but a) it needs a lot of CPU grunt to flex its muscles, something you don't have and b) you will have far less to troubleshoot if you start stripping down to a more basic and reliable setup.

To summarize, I think you already have an optimal setup with the Virge + V2, but if you really have to replace it, get the Banshee.

Reply 38 of 58, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Garrett W wrote on 2022-04-18, 06:57:

Agreed.

I even said that when matze79 mentioned that for DirectDraw games it needed more than 2MB. There was misinformation around the S3 ViRGE where the poor 3D capabilities even extended to everything else which isn't the case. It has good GDI (GUI acceleration) performance and even some of these cards has VBE 2.0 implementation onboard (but it's DOS so and we aren't talking about that 😜).

Reply 39 of 58, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well there's one common thing S3 does suck at 2D and it's overlays. It's not Virge exclusive either, as many later Savages are pretty slow at that too. Fortunately, 2D games of the time didn't rely on overlays... this mainly became a problem for those who were on S3 and getting into console emulation 😀

If you want a Virge without 3D (which can be more desirable due to HAL-detection issues getting the Voodoo ignored in some games), you'd get a Trio64V+. There's probably a way to hack up the driver inf to drop the D3D hal on the Virge for a similar effect...

apsosig.png
long live PCem