VOGONS

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was thinking about playing games in a vm but need a graphics card driver. Maybe if nouveau works in Linux maybe it can be emulated in virtual box

I am I

Reply 1 of 4, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twiz11 wrote on 2022-04-15, 02:25:

Was thinking about playing games in a vm but need a graphics card driver. Maybe if nouveau works in Linux maybe it can be emulated in virtual box

VMware/VBox don't "emulate" video cards from other manufacturers. You're probably talking about GPU passthrough which is way too complicated.

If you're using hybrid graphics (like Intel+nVidia) you might be able to pull it off by letting your host run on intel and hand over the nVidia to VM with GPU Passthrough. This may be more trivial on laptops than on desktops, as for the latter you probably need to use the output port on the motherboard (which connects to the integrated graphics) instead of the output on the discrete GPU.

I'm not sure about the details, but the procedure varies depending on the VM host you use.

I once thought about that idea (to run an actual GPU inside VM) but eventually gave up for various reasons:
- Some games, especially online ones, refuse to run inside VMs through checking the system information for VM-specific signatures, possibly to deter hacks or multiboxers.
- There are some better GPU virtualization solutions, but they are meant for barebones hypervisors (like VMware ESXi, Xen/QubesOS) rather than existing VM hosts.

Reply 2 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Emulating modern video cards are way too complicated due to them being encumbered in trade secrets and proper specifications not being disclosed.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 4, by chuky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It depends if you just want to play a specific game, or if you want to run it in a VM, or if it's specifically about Nvidia drivers.
If it's an old game, PCem (and 86box) can emulate up to a 3dfx voodoo 3 with a Pentium 2. If the game is a bit more recent, dgvoodoo can run anything but it's not a VM. Then if it's a modern game and about the VM, Qemu has graphics drivers like virtio so it probably can run your game. Qemu can also do gpu passthrough but that's probably not what you want.