VOGONS

First post, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone. I'm having a weird problem with the integrated graphics on an MSI motherboard model MS-5191 under Windows 98. I've got the correct driver (I've tried multiple drivers and multiple fresh installs without success) but it gives me that error stating 'compatible hardware could not be found'. The card is outputting VGA fine, the generic driver is installed correctly and every utility I've used to probe the PCI bus recognises the hardware and gives me the correct dev ID. If the dev ID is correct and that's what the installer is referring to, why isn't it working? Installers are pretty dumb in that regard aren't they?

When it first happened, I noticed that all the larger caps on the motherboard were busted (even though the system was running and stable) so I replaced them all thinking that maybe that was the problem, but it has made no difference. Is it possible that the system was used for an extended period with the caps in bad shape and it has caused damage to other components? I would understand if the graphics card wasn't recognised at all, but PCI.EXE, Sandra and various other tools see it fine. I guess I could install a PCI graphics card and see what happens then, but this would only be a troubleshooting step - there is no AGP slot on the board, so getting the integrated AGP graphics working is the ideal scenario. I could also try another OS such as 2K or XP, I just haven't got around to it yet and I can't see that making any difference logically.

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2 of 11, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote on 2022-05-18, 10:38:

Maybe try casual Rage Pro driver?
By the way there are PCI graphics cards that would run circles around it.

Yep, tried that. I know there are always 'alternatives', but this is a machine for a friend. It was their childhood computer and I would love to get it up and running 100% for them for the full experience. If it can't be fixed, fair enough. But I would always prefer to exhaust all reasonable options first.

p.s. Installing a Trio64 worked fine, of course, though it clashed with the NIC. Trying XP next.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 4 of 11, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not the same card, but I had similar trouble with one of those new eBay Rage cards in a 98 box. No installer (exe) would recognise it. In the end I got it going by letting 98 install the standard VGA driver, then updating the driver from Device Manager - pointing it to an inf in the Pro driver pack from Phil's site. Not sure if a similar approach could help you.

Reply 5 of 11, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had to mess with the driver INF to get some cards to work properly. If the INF has the right PCI vendor/device IDs in a device identifier (in the form of PCI\VEN_####&DEV_####, replace #s with IDs) try erasing the &SUBSYS_######## from the end of the identifier and see if the driver will install.

Reply 6 of 11, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote on 2022-05-18, 12:58:

I got confused by bad info about the board on the first web I found online. There is indeed a Rage 128 VR version. Nice. Are you sure it is the one you have?

Affirmative. It's confirmed in the manual and by the dev ID. Also, I just spent the necessary 90 minutes installing XP on this K6-2/500 to find out that the card is recognised perfectly well and the driver installed as part of Windows installation. At least I know it's not a hardware problem. I tried the drivers from Phil's site and archived drivers from the ATI site and drivers from other sources and none of them worked. I would know by now to be more methodical with graphics drivers.

Reply 7 of 11, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried the ones here?
https://soggi.org/drivers/ati.htm

I believe it is a unified package, so despite stating it is for 1999 Rage 128 Pro, it should work for 1998 Rage 128 (VR being the lower end variant of the chip, GL being the high end one).

The package from that site has allowed me to install one of those Dell Rage128 Pro, which wouldn´t accept the reference drivers at AMD site.

Reply 8 of 11, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

is this board an oem board like out of a dell/compaq/gateway or something. can't seem to find a listing for this model board on the msi site witch they mainly seem to not list boards that were made for oems. was going to suggest checking msi site and use whatever driver they provided but since its not listed on there that wouldn't help.

Reply 9 of 11, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaron158 wrote on 2022-05-18, 17:13:

is this board an oem board like out of a dell/compaq/gateway or something. can't seem to find a listing for this model board on the msi site witch they mainly seem to not list boards that were made for oems. was going to suggest checking msi site and use whatever driver they provided but since its not listed on there that wouldn't help.

Yep, that was the first thing I did. The good old days when you could download the specific driver for your board! It is indeed an OEM board, in a machine by Time Computers in the UK. I actually didn't try their site though, maybe that would work.

Reply 10 of 11, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote on 2022-05-18, 18:07:
aaron158 wrote on 2022-05-18, 17:13:

Yep, that was the first thing I did. The good old days when you could download the specific driver for your board! It is indeed an OEM board, in a machine by Time Computers in the UK. I actually didn't try their site though, maybe that would work.

def try that. i know with some laptops alot of times u can't just installed intel or nvidia or amd driver u have to get the driver from the laptop maker so maybe something similar here

Reply 11 of 11, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, all I had to do was be more methodical. Turns out all the drivers (but one) that I downloaded were the exact same version (4.13.7192). I don't know why I assumed they wouldn't be - out of practice I guess. Even though this driver is supposed to support the Rage 128 VR, it doesn't. Maybe it's something to do with it being integrated, I don't know. Either way, I found version 6.4 of the Rage drivers and that worked. What a dumbass. Thanks for the help though - hopefully this thread will help someone else in the same spot.