VOGONS

First post, by cluster.fsck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a Trident 8900D ISA VGA adapter in-box at an estate sale. When I went to test, I noticed the lack of a VGA BIOS ROM, but decided to try anyway. 1 long + 8 short beeps at power on = video adapter test fail, not surprising. Soldered on a DIP28 socket. Found a VGA BIOS that looks like it should work http://minuszerodegrees.net/rom/bin/Trident/T … sion%20C4.5.zip, but I don't quite understand the note attached, First half is EVEN bytes, second half is ODD bytes. Writing (2x) to a SST27SF512 with a TL866II+ as I don't have any 256Mbit chips. Do I just program the file as-is or write a script stripe the even/odd bytes together? I tried both ways with the same result. Anyone have another VGA BIOS I could try? It's also possible that the card is dead, which would explain why the previous owner harvested the BIOS and socket.

3VONsj3.png
dqElrrY.png

Reply 1 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a BIOS dump straight from the chip from my T8900D based card : http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/PCschit/T8900D.BIN

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 12, by cluster.fsck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, it's a byte-for-byte match with what I downloaded. Good to know I'm supposed to write as-is. I'll order a 256Mbit EPROM and play around with the jumpers, but I'm thinking this one's a goner.

Reply 3 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just now notice the card is 8900D-R, and that R should mean there is an internal ROM. Are you sure the EPROM was harvested from the card (i.e solder work was seen on the vias where you put the socket on) ?

Reply 4 of 12, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of these cards, the ROM is indeed internal, so probably installing a chip won't change anything. Mine doesn't even have the BIOS socket soldered either, just empty pads.

I recommend to check the jumper settings, I have the manual so here they are (* is the default setting for each, you may try those first).

First the 3 jumpers at the top, it should work regardless of the setting:

J1: Enable second stage zero-wait state (open) / *Disable second stage zero-wait state (closed)
J7: Non-interlaced display (open) / *Interlaced display (closed)
J8: Autodetect 8-bit or 16-bit BIOS (open) / *8-bit BIOS (closed)

Next, J6 and J10 should be kept open and closed respectively to run on a 16-bit slot, you need to add 3 unpopulated jumpers to run on an 8-bit slot and even then it's kind of pointless since it doesn't run on XT-class machines (internal BIOS probably has 286+ code):

J6: *16-bit ISA (open)
J10: *16-bit ISA (closed)

The 0WS jumper (J2)doesn't seem to work for me, so I keep it open.

Finally keep J3 open unless you have 256KB of video RAM.

Reply 5 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[..] it's kind of pointless since it doesn't run on XT-class machines (internal BIOS probably has 286+ code):[..]

XT class machines can handle 80286 instructions just fine if an 80188/80186 or NEC V20/30 is installed.
With the exception of Protected-Mode or NMI related instructions.

Likewise, an 80286 can handle 386 Real-Mode instructions if EMU386 is loaded.

But that's not really helpful here, I admit.

One of my Trident 8900 cards doesn't work in a 286, too, while another one does (8900S?).
The BIOS was from circa 1991 in each case, I think.

Oh. And I never got one of the cheaper Trident 9000 to work on 286es.
Not sure if that's helpful, either. Sorry. 🙁

Edit: Since a few years, the Trident 8900D is considered to be a worthy rival to the Tseng ET-4000AX.
So maybe it makes sense that it contains 386 instructions for performance reasons? 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Also, some AT motherboards do have a single 8-Bit slot for very old expansions card that won't fit in an 16-Bit slot.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2022-05-19, 00:10. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2022-05-19, 00:02:
XT class machines can handle 80286 instructions just fine if an 80188/80186 or NEC V20/30 is installed. With the exception of Pr […]
Show full quote

[..] it's kind of pointless since it doesn't run on XT-class machines (internal BIOS probably has 286+ code):[..]

XT class machines can handle 80286 instructions just fine if an 80188/80186 or NEC V20/30 is installed.
With the exception of Protected-Mode or NMI related instructions.

Likewise, an 80286 can handle 386 Real-Mode instructions if EMU386 is loaded.

But that's not really helpful here, I admit.

One of my Trident 8900 cards doesn't work in a 286, too, while another one does (8900S?).
The BIOS was from circa 1991 in each case, I think.

Oh. And I never got one of the cheaper Trident 9000 to work on 286es.
Not sure if that's helpful, either. Sorry. 🙁

Is one of yours has 2 eeproms in two sockets that works in your 286?

Cheers,
Edit: Since a few years, the Trident 8900D is considered to be a worthy rival to the Tseng ET-4000AX.
So maybe it makes sense that it contains 386 instructions for performance reasons? 🤷‍♂️

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 12, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-05-19, 00:02:

Now that I think about it, the XT machine in which I tested my Trident has a V20, so the BIOS probably has 386 instructions as you say. The card worked fine on an 8-bit slot of a 386SX.

Reply 8 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-05-19, 00:07:

Is one of yours has 2 eeproms in two sockets that works in your 286?

Cheers,

Hi, it's this one. It has two EPROMs. I could dump them if that's helpful.
Not sure if they compatible with the 8900D, though.
Tiido likely knows more aboutthe matter than me.
All I really know is that the 88xx, 89xx, 90xx prefixes are references to the years of each chip's release/creation.
The suffix likely is used for different revisions, RAM types etc.

Attachments

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 12, by cluster.fsck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success! Closing J10 was all that was needed. J6 open, J10 open wasn't a valid configuration.

vCKTfVj.png

There was an instruction sheet in the box. Should have though to check jumper settings, but my mind went right to the unpopulated ROM. There wasn't a socket originally and it looked pristine, but I just figured the previous owner did a really good job removing it.

KWAlcyZ.png
uEfbJL0.png

Thanks!

Reply 10 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very good, enjoy the card ~

Reply 11 of 12, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found different pin-out manual for 8900D :

8900D.png
Filename
8900D.png
File size
84.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Trident.jpg
Filename
Trident.jpg
File size
119.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

FYI : Two numbers show what mode is enabled for BIOS/ISA bus.
"8" means 8-bit and "16" means 16-bit (more is better)
"Foff" means you aren't using FIFO (enable for higher speed, may present compatibility/stability problems with some MBs)

157143230295.png

Reply 12 of 12, by hernandik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Trident card with the same chip. It doesn't boot the machine. I understand that it contain a embedded rom. there is some way to check or rewrite the embedded rom/eeprom? or may be just a rom ? someone has some idea?
My one has discrete 32 ic 256kb memory. I think that memory or DAC were bad. Of memory fail, may the board hold booting maybe?