VOGONS

First post, by 8bitfink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I purchased a Banshee card as per image. It is installed in PII system, no idea what AGP version is.

When I boot there is no display? Do I need to boot via a different card in PCI, then install drivers from within Windows 98 to be able to boot with Banshee?

TIA

EDIT - I found this so maybe the issue.

NOTE: Complete Steps 1 and 2 before removing your existing 2D card. […]
Show full quote

NOTE: Complete Steps 1 and 2 before removing your existing 2D card.

1) Extract the files for the Voodoo Banshee driver to a directory.
2) Before removing your existing 2D card switch the video driver to
Standard VGA. Click Start, Control Panel. Double-click on Display.

Attachments

Last edited by 8bitfink on 2022-05-26, 12:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
8bitfink wrote on 2022-05-24, 03:29:
I purchased a Banshee card as per image. It is installed in PII system, no idea what AGP version is. […]
Show full quote

I purchased a Banshee card as per image. It is installed in PII system, no idea what AGP version is.

When I boot there is no display? Do I need to boot via a different card in PCI, then install drivers from within Windows 98 to be able to boot with Banshee?

TIA

EDIT - I found this so maybe the issue, sorry having a shit day today. One of those Ed Penishand days, where everything I seem to touch is fooked!

NOTE: Complete Steps 1 and 2 before removing your existing 2D card. […]
Show full quote

NOTE: Complete Steps 1 and 2 before removing your existing 2D card.

1) Extract the files for the Voodoo Banshee driver to a directory.
2) Before removing your existing 2D card switch the video driver to
Standard VGA. Click Start, Control Panel. Double-click on Display.

The Banshee is a standalone 2D/3D card. If you are not getting a BIOS splash screen (which does not require drivers) or a Windows in default VGA mode, something is wrong .

If the PC/monitor combo works with another VGA card (displays video from BIOS splash screen onwards), you may have a bad Banshee or an incompatibility . In that case, maybe the Banshee's BIOS EEPROM is corrupt and needs to be reflashed ?

Reply 2 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can boot computer with two cards, one agp and pci, then in windows look into device manager for the banshee/unknown device - will tell you if the card is totally dead or only problem with the output

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 8, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you test it in another board with a verified working AGP slot?

Did you confirm the AGP slot is working on whatever motherboard you are using? (model would help too)

Did you check the BIOS to make sure AGP is set to be the primary display adapter?

Did you check the AGP aperture size in the BIOS?

Drivers do not play any factor in obtaining POST video from a video card. If you are not receiving POST video with the Banshee installed either there is a BIOS setting problem or a hardware issue somewhere.

Reply 5 of 8, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the banshee is the only card plugged in, and is not giving output during the power-up or POST before Windows, then it's either - a) dead b) not seated correctly in the agp slot correctly.

drivers won't be the issue. if it's not working before windows then it won't work in windows either.

Can you share with us your motherboard model? Maybe it has on-board video? (I doubt it considering the age, but its worth looking into).

Reply 8 of 8, by 8bitfink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well finally got it working, the system I have is an old PII 266 which I purchased via Ebay. I ended up taking the entire system part to bare, then reassembled and it worked.
I have since installed the Banshee drivers and all up and running.

Thanks all for suggestion,.