VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by starhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I've not been updating, had a lot going on.

I'm embarrassed to have to ask, but -- does anyone know the proper value for the brightness potentiometer? I've misplaced the original, sadly, and I think it's accidentally gone 🙁

Reply 21 of 31, by starhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
starhawk wrote on 2022-08-16, 14:56:

Sorry I've not been updating, had a lot going on.

I'm embarrassed to have to ask, but -- does anyone know the proper value for the brightness potentiometer? I've misplaced the original, sadly, and I think it's accidentally gone 🙁

Please? I can't use that modeline without a replacement pot, I'm not leaving that input open. It's the same value across all Compaq Portables AFAIK.

Reply 22 of 31, by starhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The fellow I donated the old parts to, including the missing pot got back to me.

For the record, I was wrong-- for a Compaq Portable II it's a 10k pot, for the Portable IIIs (and, presumably, the Portable 386, which uses a lot of the same chassis and internal parts, but a VERY different motherboard) is 40k. Good luck with that one, I suppose...

Well, at least 10k pots are easy to find, even if that particular shaft design almost certainly is not...

Reply 23 of 31, by starhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got the brightness pot sorted, and guess what?

Did a preemptive multimeter check between power and ground, just to be on the safe side... I swear it was fine before I pulled it, cakewalk, right?

NOPE. 34 ohms between power and ground 🙁 this miiight be a while, folks.

Reply 24 of 31, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Afaik, there also was Super EGA (SEGA)..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 27 of 31, by starhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
starhawk wrote on 2022-08-29, 03:58:

Got the brightness pot sorted, and guess what?

Did a preemptive multimeter check between power and ground, just to be on the safe side... I swear it was fine before I pulled it, cakewalk, right?

NOPE. 34 ohms between power and ground 🙁 this miiight be a while, folks.

Fault traced to a weakly-shorted TDA1170N 🙁 short appears between Pin1 and heatsink (0v GND) flanges... replacement chip will be here Tuesday, at considerable expense -- but I have a deadline, so... 😒

Reply 30 of 31, by citronalco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Schneider Tower AT is said to support 800x600. It came with a multisync monitor, and had a GEMINI VC-001 EGA chipset with 256kByte graphics RAM.
AFAIR I once tried in in Win 3.1 (must be 20 years ago), and it was flickering like hell.
I also remember Ironman Super Offroad offering a 64 colours mode on EGA, which only worked with multisync monitors (regardless of Extended EGA or not).

Reply 31 of 31, by starhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
starhawk wrote on 2022-09-13, 16:48:

Interesting. Didn't have much tech info, but... interesting.

TDA1170N repair appears successful; operational testing will commence after lunch.

Broke instantly 🙁