VOGONS

First post, by GodModule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A small black rectangle inductor marked with 150k fell of the back of my Voodoo 3 3500, is it screwed?

-edit-

In one system (440bx), it wont post. There's 1 long beep 2 short beeps and no display . In another system (i815) it seems to post and run just fine.

Last edited by GodModule on 2022-10-12, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GodModule wrote on 2022-10-11, 18:57:

A small black rectangle (SMD?) resistor marked with 150k fell of the back of my Voodoo 3 3500, is it screwed?

-edit-

In one system, it wont post. There's 1 long beep 2 short beeps and no display . In another system it seems to post and run just fine.

Which resistor is it? Pictures are always helpful too.

Reply 2 of 8, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A small black rectangle (SMD?) resistor marked with 150k fell of the back of my Voodoo 3 3500, is it screwed?

Nah, it's typically soldered. 😜

Reply 3 of 8, by GodModule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-10-12, 09:49:

-edit-

In one system, it wont post. There's 1 long beep 2 short beeps and no display . In another system it seems to post and run just fine.

Which resistor is it? Pictures are always helpful too.

oOf3X77

https://imgur.com/a/oOf3X77

I believe it's this one

5GljjHN

https://imgur.com/a/5GljjHN

Reply 5 of 8, by GodModule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vstrakh wrote on 2022-10-12, 18:03:

That's an inductor, not resistor.
Power goes through it, so unless it's feeding some external connector, it's a required component.

Ah right, I'm completely clueless when it comes to PCBs and components. I found another Vogon thread with the same issue

Re: Can someone help me with this damaged Voodoo3 3500TV?

How would one with no soldering abilities go about fixing this? Is there a residential Vogon soldering guru willing to help?

Reply 6 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depending on your location I'm sure somebody is willing to solder the inductor back on.
If you're in Germany I can offer my help for the cost of shipping.
If you're outside of Germany it's probably not worth the cost.

Reply 7 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GodModule wrote on 2022-10-12, 18:18:

How would one with no soldering abilities go about fixing this? Is there a residential Vogon soldering guru willing to help?

Your best bet might be to find a local repair shop that specializes in electronic repair that could solder it back on.

It's not a particularly difficult repair, but if you've never done soldering before, trying to resolder an SMD component could cause more issues than not.

Tandy 1000 TL build
286 Epson build
Ultimate Windows XP build

Reply 8 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-12, 19:24:
GodModule wrote on 2022-10-12, 18:18:

Your best bet might be to find a local repair shop that specializes in electronic repair that could solder it back on.

It's not a particularly difficult repair, but if you've never done soldering before, trying to resolder an SMD component could cause more issues than not.

I did that when a surface mount component fell off a Geforce FX 5900 . It cost me like 15 or 20$.