VOGONS

Reply 20 of 30, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no such thing as a 5:4 TV in Pal land. all CRT TV's and CRT monitors were 4:3, aside from some wide screen models at the very end of crt production. So all resolutions regardless of square or non square pixels filled a 4:3 aspect ratio.
5:4 was a LCD monitor thing only, probably the reason i never bought one until 16:10 came along.
720x576 fills a 4:3 screen as does all other resolutions like 320x200, 320x240, 640x400, 640x480, 720x400, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, also 1280x1024 except where used on 5:4 LCD monitors.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 21 of 30, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To be honest, I don't mind 5:4 at all whether stretched on a CRT or square pixel on a flat panel. If this was, say, 2560x2048 that'd be pretty cool, as I'm someone where 90% of the things I do on computers is vertically scrolling. I would even like a 4:5 or 3:4 display. 2:3 is pushing it a little but could still work.

But something about this particular display, probabably the focus on "retro cool wowww haha #nostalgia #retro #90s", just gives off a certain Bad Vibe around it. I understand the economic incentives around the panel they used, and I have no issue with that, it's more the branding of it. If I were going to make a product like this, I'd probably ask Prysm a quote to get around to miniaturizing laser phosphor displays and crowdfund that. I'd then put three 16-bit DACs onto the monitor for each color and have the whole video port come off, Macintosh LC style, to switch which connector is used.

Update: after a re-read, I guess it's not quite fair to say that; no cash grab would target an Apple II. Still, it's present, or they would have made it more along the lines of the flat panels that did exist in 1999.

Reply 23 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nostalgia Nerd just published a video about this monitor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUKQhCGUHWc

Looks like they are close to funding. That Nostalgia Nerd video seems to have generated a bit more interested in the past 24 hours.

I'm a bit on the fence with this myself. Though I'm tempted to fund it just to see it exist.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2022-12-16, 01:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 24 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
schmatzler wrote on 2022-11-24, 21:39:

I'm probably in a minority here, but why does it have to be so big? It's not as deep as a real CRT and not as thin as a modern LCD panel.

It's due to the modular nature of the add-in boards. Similar to how PC cases are bigger than they need to be when they're mostly empty space.

And do we really need crappy PC speakers inside of a monitor? I think not.

Depends on use case. I have an old Commodore 1702 monitor with built-in speaker I use for NES/SNES gaming. I actually prefer it over using external speakers.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 26 of 30, by ajacocks

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The speakers are definitely not the simple cardboard PC speaker modules. The ones chosen appear to be at least decent.

As to why speakers at all, keep in mind that this is meant to be an 80s CRT analogue device. Monitors of the time often had at least a mono speaker in the chassis.

- Alex

Reply 27 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice to see this got funded. Looks like they have now hit the first stretch goal as well (inclusion of basic monitor stand). Will be interested to see if they can hit the next level (adjustable stand).

Curious to know more about the Arcooda panel as an option. Seems like it's an extremely low latency option which could be especially nice for console gaming.

Coupled with the inclusion of both component and composite inputs, this could make for a nice display for using with older consoles.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 28 of 30, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote:

Seems like it's an extremely low latency option which could be especially nice for console gaming.

Still would be somewhat blurry without black frame insertion and/or high refresh modes. Although noticeably better than old crusty 5:4 IPS panels with slow response and low contrast.

But then again, Arcooda is already a complete package (minus casing) - it has internal controller with very customisable scaler. Might as well buy it directly. But it's targeted for arcade machines, so no guarantee that it can accept 70Hz correctly. Or well, any other high refresh rates, which could be very useful for DOS/9x machine.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 29 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-12-17, 03:17:
Shponglefan wrote:

Seems like it's an extremely low latency option which could be especially nice for console gaming.

Still would be somewhat blurry without black frame insertion and/or high refresh modes. Although noticeably better than old crusty 5:4 IPS panels with slow response and low contrast.

But then again, Arcooda is already a complete package (minus casing) - it has internal controller with very customisable scaler. Might as well buy it directly. But it's targeted for arcade machines, so no guarantee that it can accept 70Hz correctly. Or well, any other high refresh rates, which could be very useful for DOS/9x machine.

This is why I'm thinking it could potentially by good for console gaming or even as a desktop arcade setup. Even if it doesn't work well for a DOS/Win9x PC, there are other use cases for it.

At any rate, we'll find out how it works in a year! 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 30 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did anyone else back this monitor on Kickstarter?

They opened up the finalization of the orders for backers, so I'm curious if anyone else here is getting one and which options people are choosing.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build