VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this hair brained idea to make something like this for agp
Re: Adding 3.3v to pci adapter(Released)
file.php?id=152678&mode=view
I was figuring not of adding a voltage, but rather just adding more current carrying cross section and more filtering by adding a bodge board from the atx connector to the back of the slot.

Are there any other mods that could be incorporated?

Thoughts on the idea?

I'm mainly targeting ss7 systems with this idea. but let me know what else needs it and what you think can be done? as in specific design details?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Necrodude wrote on 2022-12-27, 09:37:

I like it! 😀

It would save me a lot of time if someone had a netted agp 1x/2x footprint laying around. Anyone? For kicad.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can someone do some tests on some mobos that seem to need this? Put a overpowered card in it and hook it up to a scope and see if there are dropouts. I mean just as a confirmation that this will even help at all.

as for the pcb project files:

Might have to make the footprint myself unless someone has one.

found these:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • back of mobo.png
    Filename
    back of mobo.png
    File size
    304.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • AGP.png
    Filename
    AGP.png
    File size
    54.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    agp20.pdf
    File size
    2.87 MiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 5 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Woohoo!

yes! Would you be willing to upload it in it's own project file with nets as public domain?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 7 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks SDZ you rock! as usual! 😃

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 8 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do I connect vio and vcc3.3 together? or make a option jumper? or a separate tap? or leave vio unconnected?

Any need to tap vcc5 or vcc12? only a few pins for those. doesn't seem like they are used heavily.

I need to check and correct orientation at this stage. any chance you could highlight 12v pin in 3d viewer on your project fr0m back side of board? or I can probe a mobo later. gotta be 100% sure. Silk next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    863.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 9 of 19, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

3.3V and VIO can be connected together for AGP 1.0 only, after that VIO is lower, 1.5V or 0.8V for AGP 2.0 and 3.0.
No clue how much the 5V and 12V rails are used on old AGP cards.

I can highlight, but a bit later today.

Reply 10 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, I just need to confirm orientation. 50/50 it is upside down right now 🤣. Figured easiest foolproof way is to bust out a ohm meter and find 12v on a mobo or highlight 12v in 3d on your device.

Not in front of a agp mobo atm. But maybe later.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 11 of 19, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is this intended to help with mobos that don't play nice with certain video cards?

I've got a GA-5AX rev 4.1 and, as I understand it, using certain Nvidia cards with it might be a bad idea.

If this fixes the problem, sign me up. 😀

Reply 12 of 19, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a suggestion.

Since the pins for AGP are so much closer together than the pins for a PCI port, it might be easier for installation to use castellations on the PCB and just use the power connections which are on the outside of the pins.
Seems like half the pins for power are on the outside anyway

But regardless, whats the point of this? would it actually fix any issues similar to the PCI version of this board?

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.
- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 13 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CalamityLime wrote on 2023-01-06, 09:52:
Just a suggestion. […]
Show full quote

Just a suggestion.

Since the pins for AGP are so much closer together than the pins for a PCI port, it might be easier for installation to use castellations on the PCB and just use the power connections which are on the outside of the pins.
Seems like half the pins for power are on the outside anyway

But regardless, whats the point of this? would it actually fix any issues similar to the PCI version of this board?

If traces are too thin, I can probably add a ring or go to a ring. Not a bad idea. Let me see what happens.

It has come up many times that people claim motherboards are unable to handle the power requirement of specific cards.

To my knowledge, this has never actually been tested or confirmed, but I guess it makes sense. If the traces aren’t beefy enough voltage sag might kick out the card.🤷‍♂️

If there are registers we can trigger with this adapter to set specific settings we can also do that.

So basically, it’s as much of an investigation as anything.

Looking for someone who has a card that isn’t working and they suspect power may be the culprit, maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But beefing up the power supply shouldn’t hurt.

Suggest such a person starts by hooking up a scope so we can see what’s going on. Then we can move on to the adapter. The adapter might be a cart before the horse kind of deal.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 14 of 19, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CalamityLime wrote on 2023-01-06, 09:52:

Some early AGP motherboards couldn't deliver all the juice power-hungry graphics cards wanted to the AGP slot, or they were marginal overstressing the related components/tracks and eventually failing.

I never heard of this being really an issue at the time, I guess motherboards could handle existing cards. But when crazy guys in retro forums started experimenting with the last AGP card on the first AGP motherboard it became an issue.

I don't know how common it is though or whether this proposed solution will address it.

Reply 15 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed that I hadn't uploaded my progress here.

I haven't done much work on this in a while and probably won't do anymore before someone proves that a device like this will actually help. probably not me as I currently don't have a build in need of one. Anyway, here is a Beta draft of what I was last working on. I'm not aware of any issues with it, though there may exist some. ordering or building it isn't advised without further topic development.

Attachments

• Filename
    AGP Power Adder.zip
    File size
    3.45 MiB
    Downloads
    46 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 16 of 19, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there are long adapters from PCI to AGP , I seen them , and there are specs for all agp (data links) and specs for PCI (data links) , any of this would help ? should I start searching?

Everything already Exists... - should I search more?
20200624_184104.resized-1024x365.png
20200624_1841042.resized-1024x365.png
OIP.oRK3rFb9wU6ftuVY6Ntb1QAAAA?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

This is even cooler , PCI32 to PCIexpress (if chipset supports in theory).
ST8010.jpg

you can search some more if you wish

how cool is this :
R.054c37d5a1eb432cb2466a900437b447?rik=GitxhaVRTaEShw&riu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noticias3d.com%2Fimagenes%2Fnoticias%2F200504%2FATOP.jpg&ehk=%2FVAnoNA5GafBH0%2BtXLBbamzxq4JnYcqm8lTOyTFlikc%3D&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 17 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh wow that is pretty cool.

This device is mainly to address the idea that some motherboards didn’t have enough power for some gfx cards.

The devices you listed are adapters from other busses not agp power augmenters

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 18 of 19, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-06-04, 20:09:

Oh wow that is pretty cool.

This device is mainly to address the idea that some motherboards didn’t have enough power for some gfx cards.

The devices you listed are adapters from other busses not agp power augmenters

OK now I get it , tnx for clarifying . (that is soldered under the board under the AGP soldering points).

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 19 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Correct

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-