VOGONS

First post, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I try to find 8bit universal VGA/EGA/CGA card for my turbo XT setup. I experimented with diferrent cards, and that is one of them
Marked as VGA Enhancer V8-512K REV.B based jn second generation Trident microsystems 8800BR video chip.
I can't find any information for this card and any drivers for it.
IMG20221108172440.jpg

EGA out from this card won't work with my FPGA EGA/CGA converter and show almost non read, elongated and left shifted picture.
But i know that that card can run cga/ega emulation on vga out with utility SVM.EXE included in TVGAUTILfolder on driver disk.
All drivers which i can find in net from TVGA8900 chip, and don't work with my card.

Can anyone help with drivers for 8800BR or maybe SVM.EXE for that chp.
PS 8800-8900 drivers from vogonsdrivers won't work. Its for 8900.

My hardware:
enough for my wife to hate

Reply 1 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a similar card, but haven't found a mode-switching utility.
I'm afraid the 8800 series doesn't support register-level CGA/Hercules modes at VGA frequencies.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 6, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-01-22, 15:22:

I've got a similar card, but haven't found a mode-switching utility.
I'm afraid the 8800 series doesn't support register-level CGA/Hercules modes at VGA frequencies.

When Video bios init, on screen present text "VGA Mode" and in manual for similar card 8800CS present description about switching mechanism.
here - https://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_trident_8800cs.html

But drivers from it don't work. Also config switches on my 8800br absolutely do nothing in any config.

My hardware:

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TVGA8800BR is actually older than the TVGA8800CS, AFAICT . It is very hard to find anything about the BR variant's capabilities (or lack thereof). The newer TVGA8800CS was much more widely used and documented, again AFAICT .

Reply 4 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ar2r4eg wrote on 2023-01-23, 13:20:

When Video bios init, on screen present text "VGA Mode" and in manual for similar card 8800CS present description about switching mechanism.

That manual describes "SVM.EXE" as the video mode utility.
But the drivers linked there are clearly for 8900 - they contain SVM89.EXE, which refuses to work with my 8800CS card.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 6, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-01-29, 15:55:
Ar2r4eg wrote on 2023-01-23, 13:20:

That manual describes "SVM.EXE" as the video mode utility.
But the drivers linked there are clearly for 8900 - they contain SVM89.EXE, which refuses to work with my 8800CS card.

On ftp://retron.de/driver/Trident/TVGA folder placed 2 archives - UA63_DOS.ZIP and UX64_UTL.ZIP
SVM and other tools worked with 8800BR ftom it. In SVM you can choose different modes and test it, but can't apply it to adapter 🙁( pain...

My hardware:

Reply 6 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ar2r4eg wrote on 2023-01-31, 16:15:

On ftp://retron.de/driver/Trident/TVGA folder placed 2 archives - UA63_DOS.ZIP and UX64_UTL.ZIP
SVM and other tools worked with 8800BR ftom it. In SVM you can choose different modes and test it, but can't apply it to adapter 🙁( pain...

"Set Mode for Trident 93/94/96xx Families"
so, VLB/PCI era...