VOGONS

First post, by Cerberus73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I've been looking and reading online a long time, and yeah I have been building computers a long time, even doing it for a living in the 90's until I got into software dev and graphic design. But hey I'm old 50 shortly and the old brain has forgotten near as much as I remember. I don't want to be paying £100's for a obsolete gpu that even a raspberry pi could run rings around these days. I havent quite got that same nostalgia that some have for Voodoo cards, or needing the absolute creme de la creme bleeding edge. but nor do I want to end up stuck with a turd like a FX5200, Savage 2 etc.

Hardware wise i will be using a late 98se supported board. Gigabyte GA_K8NS Pro Nforce 3 250 based board. With 512mb - 1.5gb DDR400 Ram (I have 3 identical Dimms), Soundblaster Audigy Player, I've owned since new. or a SB Live! 128. Ralink RT2561 based WiFi card. The board has GB Lan on it. IDE and SATA Raid. and i got all the drivers from Gigabytes site for Win 98.. oh and a 3200+ Athlon 64, how well everything is supported and will function is another matter.

I have a selection of AGP cards at the moment, but mostly pretty meh or middle of the road. of course there is the FX5200's both 128 and 256mb variants. but these are turds, were back in the day, even worse now. ATI 9200 SE.. another not great card. so dismissing these instantly.. except used to test boards... this leaves me with.. in no particular order.

MX440 64mb
FX5500 256mb DDR
A faulty (aretefacts and coloured bars) FX5600 Ultra 256mb
ATI Radeon 9550 256mb GDDR (Very nice, boxed never used except to test and reapply thermal paste) should overclock to 9600 spec easily enough.
ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 SE 128mb.. card works but no remote and well in the UK an analogue tv card is as much use as a freezer in Antartica.
FX6200A 128mb

Now sure I have newer boards kicking around, and PCI, and PCI-e, but I really want to use this motherboard, as its overkill for win 98SE. so shouldn't have any bottlenecks. Do I need to be looking for something better than what I already own GPU wise? Will a FX5500 cut it for games like thief? Im a huge RPG fan so be wanting to play stuff like baldurs gate, and others of that era. I have literally zero interest in stuff like doom, quake etc. more RPG and strategy. And TBH no interest in DOS gaming.. as this was when I was still using Amigas for my gaming. until 96 when I built my first gaming PC.

If its not something I already own, what can be had at a reasonable cost (like £20-40 $25-45) That would nip along in the kind of games I want to play @ 60fps at least. is having table fog, and palletised textures a huge deal? I know thief uses them, but can the "new dark" engined versions be played on 98? therefore bypassing that need?

Suggestions welcome, and why.. like i said my old brain has forgotten all the pros and cons of a lot of these boards.. it is like 20 yrs ago now. I want native drivers, no relying on hacked around drivers or hardware. and cost sane money. And thanks in advance for any suggestions, debate and information.

Reply 1 of 4, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any of the cards you listed will run anything made for Windows 9x smoothly. Even an FX5200 (which is only very slightly worse than a 5500).

Games like Thief use fog tables, so for it to look the best you would want to stick to FX or older nvidia cards. I don't believe any Radeon cards support it. From your list I'd go with an MX440 or FX5500.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2 of 4, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote on 2023-03-01, 18:00:

From your list I'd go with an MX440 or FX5500.

Just to add this, I have both GF4MX440 and FX5500 AGP models and tested them on my slot 1/P3 800MHz box and I get slightly better performance from 440MX with late 90s-2000s stuff. CPU and drivers probably matter, but I left the passive Gainward 440MX on the system. Those FX cards really aren't that good at least with little bit older stuff, so I'd probably go with 440MX.

But yeah, with 90s stuff pretty much any FX card is more than enough. And with late 90s CRPGs 3D acceleration capabilities and FPS are pretty meaningless in any case. IF OP wants something more modern-ish with those, it would be far easier to buy the enhanced versions from GOG which support higher resolutions and play them on modern systems.

Reply 3 of 4, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First decide how far do you want to go.

Up to Y2k even the "turd" FX5200 is an alright card, BUT! it's not faster and requires newer drivers than the MX440 (given it's a 128bt version with decently fast RAM). The FX5200 and the FX5500 are the exact same card though, so one is just as much of a "turd" as the other.

Past that, I'd go with the 9800SE. Your motherboard is a modern one for W98 and I assume that means something like an Athlon64 CPU and this is the fastest you have. It should be good up until about 2003.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 4, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd go with the Radeon 9800se or 9550, generally the Ati Win98 drivers work without problems on every game I tested. With Nvidia I often have to use older drivers to avoid game compatibility problems, like rendering errors, black screen on launch, blurry UI elements/text, stuttering input lag. The MX440 you have is the most compatible Nvidia card on the list, so that's another option.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718