VOGONS

First post, by deleted_acc1

User metadata

I have an Asus P5KPL-SE Socket LGA775 motherboard with three PCI slots. In the first I have SB Live 5.1 in the second PCI 3DFX Voodoo Banshee for Windows 98 SE. I have a dual boot with Windows 98 SE with SATA, RAM patches and Windows XP for everything else. I would like to use a third PCI slot for a Geforce 5500 PCI graphics card for Windows 98 in parallel with 3DFX. But I do not know how to do it. Ideally, I would like to be able to choose in BIOS from which slot to turn on the video card or which PCI video card to work with. Is it possible? Is there a modified BIOS for this?

Reply 1 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not between PCI slots. First slot will always take priority. Realistically, you only need Banshee for Glide and maybe some really old D3D games. Both do not require it to be a primary device in such setup, so only second/third input on your monitor or switch would be useful.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 6, by deleted_acc1

User metadata
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-25, 19:12:

Not between PCI slots. First slot will always take priority. Realistically, you only need Banshee for Glide and maybe some really old D3D games. Both do not require it to be a primary device in such setup, so only second/third input on your monitor or switch would be useful.

Thanks, so if I put GeForce 5500 in the first slot as the lead card for early D3D games and Banshee in the second and run, for example, Quake 2, select 3DFX Glide in options, will it switch to 3DFX video card? And of course, I have VGA switch, which I use to switch between Banshee and a new PCI-E video card GeForce 9600 GT for Windows XP. And what about the DOS Glide games? Will they find the video card in the second slot? Now my DOS Glide games are works great and I would like to use Banshee for DOS Glide games.

Reply 3 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Glide, running games on Banshee won't be any different than on Voodoo 1 or Voodoo 2, just with lesser DOS compatibility. Old Direct3D games usually have device selector.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-25, 19:12:

Not between PCI slots. First slot will always take priority.

Well, that's a choice of the BIOS. The BIOS enables the first VGA-compatible card it finds and ignores all other VGA-compatible cards, so they stay in the disabled state. Technically, it is perferctly possible to disable the graphics card initialized by the BIOS, replace the ROM image in shadow RAM, enable the other PCI graphics card and go on with that card. Practically, this is going to fail if something already took pointers into the old BIOS that is going to disappear, it will be troublesome if EMM386 already mapped UMB/EMS at C800:0000, and the new graphics BIOS is more complicated than the old one, but it's definitely not impossible to create a BANSHEE.SYS that can be loaded with ?DEVICE=BANSHEE.SYS from the first line in config.sys to switch over from the Geforce to the Banshee (or the other way around). That driver would be chipset specific, though, as rewriting the shadow RAM is a chipset-specific operation.

I alreday did operations like that when I played around with overly new PCI graphics cards in 486 boards.

Adding a PCI graphics card selection functionality to the BIOS would also be technically possible, but as this is a completely new feature, patching it on a binary level into a BIOS that is already fully assembled is going to be quite a hassle.

Reply 5 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't some bios have the option to select the pci scan order from first to last or last to first ?
At least I remember seeing such an option on a board or two.

edit: not to be confused with the primary display adapter AGP/PCI selection.

Last edited by weedeewee on 2023-03-27, 15:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is close to one of my GF4 + Voodoo 3 setup, main difference is my primary card is AGP but the fundamentals should be the same.
Set the Geforce as the primary and by default games will output to this device.
Any game that calls the glide API will be forced to use the Banchee and will output to this without any intervention needed.

Of course exceptions always exist, in my case Powerslide in glide mode. For this game I disable the GF4 in device manager and reboot.