VOGONS

First post, by BoYan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi gyus,

I need help to overcome system problem of not being able to run V2 in SLI in a multiprocessor PC.

My configuration is:
MB: Supermicro P6DGS, intel i440GX chipset
CPU: 2 x P3 Katmai 500 Mhz
RAM: 4 x 256 MB
Primary GPU (tried several): Nvidia TNT2 M64 / GF2 MX400 / Radeon Rage 128 Pro / etc.
Secondary GPU: paired 2x Gainward Dragon 3000 - V 2 12 MB in SLI
Sound: Creative AWE 64 Value
HDD - not important
no CD / DVD
System: Win 2K SP4, directX 7.0 - 8.1 - 9.0b (tried all of them)

Problem I am experiencing is that the V2 cards are present and recognized in system (and also 3dfx control panel), but they simply do not work - when I try to run glide demo (such as Borg or Donut), let alone try a game, the screen goes black, monitor shows that it is receiving signal, sound continues, but no image. I tried several drivers for Win 2K, such as official 1.02, Gold drivers 4.0 and PeDiniz (recommended by a friend), and none of them seem to work.

I found somewhere that V2 don't go well with SMP systems, but I had the same combination of cards in Abit BP6 working just fine, so what can be the reason for the problem? P6DGS has official multiprocessor support (i440GX), while Abit works on regular i440BX chipset, which is capable of 2 CPUs by Abit's hack...

I've noticed that Supermicro P6DGS is recognized as MPS system, while Abit BP6 is seen as multiprocessor ACPI system, does it make a difference?

Thanks for suggestions and all experiences are welcome!

Reply 1 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like you I've got a working SLI setup in BX based SMP system (In my case a Asus P2B-DS) so we know multiple CPU's shouldn't be an issue, Perhaps chipset?
I don't think it will but does just a single voodoo card work?
What about if you drop back to just 1 CPU?
I wouldn't think MP or ACPI matters but during setup when it says "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware" you can hit F5 and select a different hardware profile and try mps system

Reply 4 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BoYan wrote on 2023-03-28, 14:02:

but MPS + Win 2K vs. MPS + Win XP, is there a difference? which drivers are you using, do you have 2 CPUs on your board?

Yes 2x Pentium Pros clocked at 233. Using the fast voodoo drivers

Reply 5 of 8, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had no issues running 2 V2s in SLI with Dual Xeon 550/2M but I don’t own the system anymore to watch for further detail.
It just worked great.

Does it work with 1 Card ? Or maybe one CPU only ?

I also would check with win98 if it works here.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 8, by BoYan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK; update (all tests are done under Win 2K, DX9.0b, drivers 3dfx v1.02 / Gold drivers v4.0)
1 CPU - 1 card -> works OK (tried with both cards separately, to check for possibility of faulty card)
1 CPU - 2 cards -> SLI works, but freezes after a few seconds, seems that they become de-synchronized (I see horizontal misalignment)
2 CPUs - 2 cards -> no-go, still black screen.

I've seen another symptom on this motherboard which seems interesting - Supermicro p6DGS is AGP 2x capable, but seems that it don't have very strong power delivery to AGP slot - anything stronger that a geforce 2 (tried gf3ti, gf4ti, even Radeon 900o) - it shows corruption in screen or just blacks out before it reaches windows.

Worked OK with Ati Rage 128 Pro, RIva TNT2 m64 and GF2mx400.

If I have time today, I will try to install Win2k yet another time, just this time, will try to hit "F5" during installation and choone Multiprocessor ACPI instead of MPS, to see it if will work...

EDIT: I've noticed that the MB has auxiliary power supply connector on the upper right corner - do you think it's needed for the proper functioning of the board? the previous owner told me he used the board without it (without any problems), and so far I'd say that also in my case it is working fine (except for the AGP stronger cards issue).

Attachments

Reply 7 of 8, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least its worth to try it, it provides additional 2 3,3V Power Lines and one 5V Power Line.

The Voodoo 2 should only use 5V from Slot as far as i know.
It has own Voltage Regulator onboard.

What PSU do you use ?
If its a modern PSU it likley has not enough Amps on 5V.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 8 of 8, by BoYan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out my PSU has additional 6-pin connector and connected it, and voila - all started working as it should. Me very happy 😊

My PSU is relatively old but solid, an LC-Power 550W atx 2.0 model, with ~200W on 3.3V and 5V combined, so I should be fine...