VOGONS

First post, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there. I am still more incline towards plan A.

Plan A means to build my rig from the start. The potential specs for the righ would be using

Sempron3100+Gigabyte K8VT800M

and a Gefore 3, 4 or one of the ATI Radeon 9000s card.

A potential plan B came up unexpectedly.

The potential plan b machine I could get is lower cost and lower spec machine literally.

I might have the chance to purchase a HP VECTRA VL 400 with 1GZ and a Matrox gf450 for super low sum.

It would be cheaper than all the components I have envised.

The specs are way lower of course but it would be cheap and simple way to get my first gaming rig. That's why it is tempting somehow to consider it.

There is not much to say about the cpu a 1 GHz Pentium 3 sounds like a peroid correct cpu. Nothing wrong with it.

But how about the matrox g450? I have only heard about the g200 and g400 which were seen as decent cards for their time frame. They are good but not the best of the best.

Have not read much about the 450 . Is the G450 something like enhanced g400.

And how suited would be matrox g450 for 1997 to 2000 gaming?

Can the matrox g450 still be seen as sutitable despite the fact it would be much lower powered than my plan graphics card?

Would be pleased if the matrox users (if ithere are any) could share their experience with the card?

Thanks for the help in advance

Reply 1 of 17, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The G450 is a good Directx6 level chip which will be slower than the G400 but had the same good driver support, an even better vga output signal quality, more compact chip and heatsink, high PCB/components quality and should be considered it was an office oriented product which can be used for those games period imho. I can say much for 1997 games but I suppose they should be just as good as them running on the G400. Of course it will not result in the fastest rendering considering clocks, 64bit memory bus, etc..

Reply 2 of 17, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In terms of speed, the Matrox G450 is comparable to an Nvidia TNT2, albeit a bit slower. It's also slower than the older G400 model. You can see some period correct benchmarks in this review. With regards to legacy features, the G450 does support table fog, but not paletted textures. On the plus side, it also has EMBM since Matrox pioneered that tech in the consumer market.

Image quality is where Matrox cards really shine. In that area, they were simply the best of the best. Even if you set your desktop to 1600x1200 the G4xx cards will still deliver a very sharp image. They don't have the performance for smooth gaming at that resolution of course, but they were superb for regular workstation use.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 17, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-06-02, 07:27:

In terms of speed, the Matrox G450 is comparable to an Nvidia TNT2, albeit a bit slower. It's also slower than the older G400 model. You can see some period-correct benchmarks in this review. With regards to legacy features, the G450 does support table fog, but not paletted textures. On the plus side, it also has EMBM since Matrox pioneered that tech in the consumer market.

Image quality is where Matrox cards really shine. In that area, they were simply the best of the best. Even if you set your desktop to 1600x1200 the G4xx cards will still deliver a very sharp image. They don't have the performance for smooth gaming at that resolution of course, but they were superb for regular workstation use.

Thanks for the info and the links.

It is just as I thought then. The G450 could be decent card for my field of use but is far from the optimum. Good image quality and EMBM support is a big plus of course but I doubt that many games from the era I am into will support it. So it is a feature nice to have but necessary for the best gaming experience.

As plan C could also get the hp system and just swap the graphics card. It seems the hp system is equipped with socket 370 motherboard.

Which graphics card would be the optimum for socket 370 motherboard and a intel pentium 3 (not sure if is coppermine or Tualatin) 1GHZ cpu? Something in the geforce 2 or 3 range?

If that is the case then price advantage of the hp system compared to the from the scratch project a would vanish but I am still not completely against the idea.

After all having solid foundation like functional motherboard, cpu,cooler and power supply is too is good stuff for a beginner. It would makes things easier because I do not have to figure out for myself which parts are working and which parts are not working.

That's part of the fun when building retro machines but for a noob like myself it is better to keep stuff stupid and simple.

@386XS thanks for your detailed answer as well.

Last edited by predator_085 on 2023-06-02, 08:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 17, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use the stronger version (400) for my 98 pc, it's good for DX games of that period and it pairs really well with a voodoo 2 if you want glide support at the same time, all in all if you want to run games at their intended resolution and most of the times sub 60fps (just like we all did) it does its job.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 5 of 17, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
predator_085 wrote on 2023-06-02, 08:34:
Thanks for the info and the links. […]
Show full quote
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-06-02, 07:27:

In terms of speed, the Matrox G450 is comparable to an Nvidia TNT2, albeit a bit slower. It's also slower than the older G400 model. You can see some period-correct benchmarks in this review. With regards to legacy features, the G450 does support table fog, but not paletted textures. On the plus side, it also has EMBM since Matrox pioneered that tech in the consumer market.

Thanks for the info and the links.

It is just as I thought then. The G450 could be decent card for my field of use but is far from the optimum. Good image quality and EMBM support is a big plus of course but I doubt that many games from the era I am into will support it. So it is a feature nice to have but necessary for the best gaming experience.

As plan, I could also get the hp system and just swap the graphics card. It seems the hp system is equipped with socket 370 motherboard.

Which graphics card would be the optimum for socket 370 motherboard and a intel pentium 3 (not sure if is coppermine or Tualatin) 1GHZ cpu? Something in the geforce 2 or 3 range?

If that is the case then price advantage of the hp system compared to the from the scratch project a would vanish but I am still not completely against the idea.

After all having solid foundation like functional motherboard, cpu,cooler and power supply is too is good stuff for a beginner. It would makes things easier because I do not have to figure out for myself which parts are working and which parts are not working.

That's part of the fun when building retro machines but for a noob like myself it is better to keep stuff stupid and simple.

@386XS thanks for your detailed answer as well.

If vga output quality is not a priority I suppose most Geforce 2 MX's are good choices maybe with older drivers having lighter impact on the cpu. Cheap and fast GPU which support many features and was the best selling cheap product in its time. Usually on cheaper PCB brands image quality wasn't the best on the VGA output but speed at lower resolution and compatibility were really good.

Reply 6 of 17, by b0by007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Speaking from experience, i used for win98 gaming a Compaq deskproEN with PIII at 1 ghz and Matrox G450 - PCI version (no AGP slot), slower then the AGP version.
I played Diablo 2, Drakan, Unreal Gold, Starcraft, Red Alert, Thief I, Quake 3, Quake 2 and many others. It has good compatibiliy.
It has also a DVI conector. My monitor has vga and dvi. I use the vga port for my dos machine - 486 dx2 at 66mhz.
So 1 monitor for 2 pc saves me from switching cables.
I am happy with it. But I am not picky about graphics/resolutions. I am used to play games on ps2 and ps1, so on PC I play at 800x600 and I get decent frame rates.

Attachments

• IMG_20230418_145233.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230418_145233.jpg
    File size
    1.91 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    3d mark 2000
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20230418_144414.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230418_144414.jpg
    File size
    1.63 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    3d mark 99
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20230421_233908.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230421_233908.jpg
    File size
    1.34 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    CompaqDeskpro EN MatroxG450
    File license
    Public domain

HP Vectra D2753A 486/25N i486 SX 25mhz
UNISYS SG3500 AMD486 DX2 66mhz
OLIVETTI M4 i486 SX2 50mhz
IBM PC 330 6577-79T, Pentium 166mhz
IBM PC 300GL 6561-350, Pentium II MMX 266mhz
My retro youtube channel!

Reply 7 of 17, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
b0by007 wrote on 2023-06-02, 10:34:
Speaking from experience, i used for win98 gaming a Compaq deskproEN with PIII at 1 ghz and Matrox G450 - PCI version (no AGP sl […]
Show full quote

Speaking from experience, i used for win98 gaming a Compaq deskproEN with PIII at 1 ghz and Matrox G450 - PCI version (no AGP slot), slower then the AGP version.
I played Diablo 2, Drakan, Unreal Gold, Starcraft, Red Alert, Thief I, Quake 3, Quake 2 and many others. It has good compatibiliy.
It has also a DVI conector. My monitor has vga and dvi. I use the vga port for my dos machine - 486 dx2 at 66mhz.

I am happy with it. But I am not picky about graphics/resolutions. I am used to play games on ps2 and ps1, so on PC I play at 800x600 and I get decent frame rates.

I love this mentality, in a way i like the limitations when i use my old machines, it's the way those game looked and developers probably designed the visuals with those limitations in mind, lately i was thinking about it regarding alias, it was rarely feasible in 2000 and the same goes for high resolution with freshly released games, so they tested and played the game during development with that jagged look, i was thinking if some game on PC worked around that limitation and was designed to look a specific way to mitigate the problem.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 8 of 17, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@all Thanks for the further replies. I will also check out the Gf2 mx cards.

iraito wrote on 2023-06-02, 11:09:
b0by007 wrote on 2023-06-02, 10:34:
Speaking from experience, i used for win98 gaming a Compaq deskproEN with PIII at 1 ghz and Matrox G450 - PCI version (no AGP sl […]
Show full quote

I love this mentality, in a way i like the limitations when i use my old machines, it's the way those game looked and developers probably designed the visuals with those limitations in mind, lately i was thinking about it regarding alias, it was rarely feasible in 2000 and the same goes for high resolution with freshly released games, so they tested and played the game during development with that jagged look, i was thinking if some game on PC worked around that limitation and was designed to look a specific way to mitigate the problem.

Thanks for impressions boby007. I also just have console background when 90s gaming is concerned. My pc back then also had only limited gaming capabilities. So I think I also would glad to see the old games from back then in little better quality than just the ps1 would make rather happy.

@iraito It is indeed a good question how games were supposed to look according to the devs back then. Which graphics card and which rendering features where seen as the baseline is another really interesting question I think.

Cranking up the resolution to the max with the highest possible framerate can be nice as well but looking for a set up that has a more contemporary look can also be interesting.

Reply 9 of 17, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
predator_085 wrote on 2023-06-02, 11:27:

Cranking up the resolution to the max with the highest possible framerate can be nice as well but looking for a set up that has a more contemporary look can also be interesting.

So, Plan A is nice and Plan B is cheap ...
...just let us know once you get both at home 😜 .

Reply 10 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

G450 AGP can be overclocked to G400 MAX specs. So it can be like TNT2 Ultra, but with inferior OpenGL.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 17, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for making this thread. I was asking myself the same question. and got many valuable info. I just hope we are not after the same hp pc on ebay...

Last edited by theiceman085 on 2023-06-02, 13:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 17, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AngryByDefault wrote on 2023-06-02, 12:28:
predator_085 wrote on 2023-06-02, 11:27:

So, Plan A is nice and Plan B is cheap ...
...just let us know once you get both at home 😜 .

Lol. Well it could really happen that end up with both variants eventually. Both versions are equally interesting and I would not mind having both.

@Serpent Rider Well overclocking might be an option to improve the performance of the g450 not sure though If I am competent enough as beginner to attempt such thing. But it is good to know that would be possible.

Last edited by predator_085 on 2023-06-08, 08:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 17, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’d say you should go with plan C. Spend less now so you can start experimenting. You might find you change your mind on what you want after you get your hands on something. I know I have done that myself.

Plus, an upgrade to a GF2 MX would be cheap and easy later on.

Reply 14 of 17, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
danieljm wrote on 2023-06-03, 21:24:

I’d say you should go with plan C. Spend less now so you can start experimenting. You might find you change your mind about what you want after you get your hands on something. I know I have done that myself.

Plus, an upgrade to a GF2 MX would be cheap and easy later on.

When thinking about it now you are probably right. With the hp system, I would have a solid foundation already for a good price. And then I can start experimenting with various video and sound cards.

I would have plenty of options from very cheap cards like the GeForce 2 MX and a bit more expensive other GF 2 line cards that still do not cost a fortune like GF 2 gtx line. The most expensive cards would be the Geforce 2 Ultra line. Sometimes Radeon 8500s are also quite cheap to have if I am into looking for an NVIDIA alternative.

@all Speaking of sound cards. As the system won't come with a sound card what sound cards would you consider worth having for the socket 370 system for Windows 98 gaming (97 to latte 2000 games)?

Last edited by predator_085 on 2023-06-04, 08:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 17, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
predator_085 wrote on 2023-06-04, 07:19:

@all Speaking of sound cards. As the system won't come with a sound card what sound cards would you consider worth having for the socket 370 system for Windows 98 gaming (97 to latte 2000 games)?

Everyone has their favorite and you will likely get several different suggestions...

If you go for "inexpensive and easy to find" SB Live!'s are probably a good choice. (AFAIK you mainboard is PCI only).

Drivers seem to be complicated in terms of finding which one works with each card model, but it should be a very good overall card. Being a PCI card, it's DOS support will not be as good as that of a legacy ISA card.

Cards with the "Aureal Vortex 2" are some of the most regarded around here, but not that easy to find for a good price.

Cards based on the ESS Solo-1 or Yamaha YMF chips are highly regarded too, and likely easier to find than Vortex 2.

Some say the cards with ALS4000+ chip are good and cheap, underrated cards that perform better than most people will give them credit for.

CMI8738 based cards are not recommended.

For several other chips I find mixed opinions, usually not recommending them, but then some (imho) knowledgable member shows up stating that card "X" works well in situation "Y". But this is probably not the way to get started if you're looking for a smoother kickstart.

BTW, I just stumbled with this thread:
HP Vectra VL/400 MT, Pentium-lll , 1ghz.

...look out for @ThermalWrong's post about and ISA expansion port on page 1:
Re: HP Vectra VL/400 MT, Pentium-lll , 1ghz.

Also check
Re: What's wrong with all these sound cards???

Reply 17 of 17, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@AngyByDefault Thx for your detailed answer and the links. I will read everything very carefully. It makes a lot of sense that I might get many different suggestions on that matter. I am sure that there are many great options out there.

I just need to find a good option that is compatible with my mainboard and is priced in good way. Then I also have to consider the availability.

I am also going to check out all the games I wan to enjoy on my system and see which different sound cards these games support.