VOGONS

First post, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello i trying to install on usb stick ms-dos 7.10 on new type of motherboard. i sucessfull install it 😎 by replacing the old himem.sys with the himemx.exe from freedos and with this parameter in config.sys
device=c:\dos71\himemx.exe /max=32000
i can install and the emm386.exe without errors 😎
for the games in order not to have flickering graphicks the nolfb.com did the trick, i also use the dosidle so my cpu dont be used 100% without a reason, so far so good.
now about the sound i have a sound blaster live ct 4830 that the driver says that initialize complete on port c000 and irq 11, but sbego give error that says is sb16 emulation enabled?? and the setup of the games report the sound blaster not responding on selected port. my autoexec.bat
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\DOSDRV
C:\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
my ctsyn.ini
[ctsyn.drv]
OPLPort=388
MPUPort=330
SBPort=220
SBIRQ=7
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
SBEnable=true
JoyPort=200
JoyEnable=true
Waveset=C:\DOSDRV\default.ecw
PCIPort=c000
PCIIRQ=11

[SBEMIXER]
MasterVolL=192
MasterVolR=192
WaveVolL=192
WaveVolR=192
CDVolL=192
CDVolR=192
SynthVolL=192
SynthVolR=192
MT32=+

i know about the compatibility issues with newer motherboards but can be anything done here? my motherboard is a intel 9 series chipset gigabyte ga-z97m-d3h with 8gb dd3 ram and an i5 4690 cpu

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you are using the "China DOS union" version of DOS 7.10 ? That's probably not a good idea.

i know about the compatibility issues with newer motherboards but can be anything done here?

No, the symptoms you are describing sound very much like what happens when you try to use SBEINIT on an incompatible motherboard. There is nothing you can do.

Reply 4 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, all PCI sound cards require certain hardware functionality from the motherboard in order to properly emulate an ISA card in DOS. The exact requirements vary depending on the card and the compatibility method, but any brand new motherboard will have no chance of working in this way. Considering the amount of power represented by an i5 CPU, DOSBox is likely an excellent option even for very demanding titles (like DN3D or Quake at high res).

If you have some abnormal requirements that extend beyond this and can share with us what you're trying to do, we might be able to offer some advice.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 10, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dosbox is working fine for anything i want, some games tend to give problems with official version but i found solution on svn versions. i try to have a real dos on my machine just for killing time no real reason at all.
about having win 98 i try to install it on my usb simply by having a usb capable of booting in ms dos. and by copying all cd files on usb too when i type setup the installation starts but after 2 secs give an error about win98 cant be installed on pc with lower of 16 mb memory. with ximemx or without in config.sys

Reply 6 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Definitely stick with SVN builds as 0.74 is quite out of date. I recommend anything which includes the Nuked OPL patch (such as the DOSBox ECE build*) as it significantly improves the accuracy of FM sound emulation.
* http://blog.yesterplay80.net/?page_id=515

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In theory, even if SBEINIT.COM does not work with your motherboard, you can still run DOSBox with sound and without installing Windows using certain builds of HX DOS Extender.
HX DOS extender?

However, there's not much point in doing so, since you'd have the same experience as running DOSBox under Windows.

truemaster wrote:

dosbox is working fine for anything i want, some games tend to give problems with official version but i found solution on svn versions.

Out of curiosity, which games would those be?

truemaster wrote:

about having win 98 i try to install it on my usb simply by having a usb capable of booting in ms dos. and by copying all cd files on usb too when i type setup the installation starts but after 2 secs give an error about win98 cant be installed on pc with lower of 16 mb memory. with ximemx or without in config.sys

You aren't the first person to try installing Windows 98 on such a machine. You may need this solution:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129983-how-to … more-than-1-gb/

However, if you just want to boot MS-DOS 7.10 from Windows 98, I think you should be able to transfer the relevant files with the "sys" command after booting from a Windows 98 boot disk.

Reply 8 of 10, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks everyone for reply. so i guess right, too new hardware for any dos compatible soundblaster to work. but it was worth the shoot
about why having 2 different versions of dosbox. games like supaplex and disney aladdin dont go full screen with official version bottom and upper screen are black.
newer games that give multiple resolutions go fullscreen. but those with cdaudio dont repeat track after end thats where the svn versions helped me